Buckets vs Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Wondering what are peoples thoughts on using buckets vs carboys? I feel like a lot of the more experienced brewers out there like to use carboys.. is there a reason for this? Wondering if I should add a 6.5 gallon better bottle to my collection of brewing equipment.

Also question regarding the 6.5 gallon carboys. Is a stopper and airlock enough or should one use a blow off tube?

i think it all comes down to people worried about plastic leaching chemicals.. science tells us that the HDPE used is totally stable below x amount degrees.. but science also told us lead paint is totally safe.. 25 years from now we might be looking back and saying (wtf were we thinking) but i have a carboy and 3 buckets.. i usually use my buckets just because there so much easier to use/clean.. and not dangerous... i think one day when i have brewing and sanitizing down to a t with all the tools to make it easy i might go all glass carboy..

Um, in reality a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter.....glass, plastic, carboy, bucket, jerry can, keg, milk jug, ceramic crock, glass hurricane jar, stainless steel or plastic conicals, pet food storage vessels (vittle vaults), HD or Lowe's buckets, frosting buckets, water jugs, the old Mr Beer jug...All of those and anything you can think of, all work perfectly fine, and have been used by hundreds if not thousands of brewers...

No one type is better or worse than any other...good beer or crappy beer can be made in all of them, dependant onthe brewer, NOT what it's fermented in...

It's really just a matter of preference, nothing more....There's tons of arguments about glass vs plastic and whatever, but they're nothing more than internet masturbation....the yeast don't give a flying ****ady what kind of container the wort it is swimming in.

It really isn't rocket science, it's really about using what works for you.

It won't have an "impact" on the beer one bit.

I love my better bottles. They are light weight and easy to work with. Cleaning is easy with the plug and a soak. I like the bottom spigots although they can plug. I really like the ability to rotate the spigot to collect yeast during the fermentation. My glass carboy is heavy and I'm more afraid of bodily harm from breaking it than any chemical effect of plastic. My bucket is great but isn't as satisfying to watch during vigorous fermentation. I certainly agree that you need to go with what you like. The fermentation vessel is more about a fun process than a good result

I got glass because I wanted to make some wine too and was a bit worried about degassing with plastic carboys. Since then I have been repudiated and told they would have been fine, but hey..for a little more investment, glass lasts a lot longer, until you drop it. The Better Bottles I have heard are great, but I also condition ACV and Hot sauce in mine, so I found the glass ones to be more versatile when it comes to cleaning highly acidic products out.

The one thing I have liked about fermenting in carboys over buckets is just seeing it, aesthetics.

they're nothing more than internet masturbation.
:confused:

Wow, that's an interesting quote... is that anything like speculating on the carpet?

Revvy is spot on. I've tried them all, it's down to a matter of what you like.

Latest posts

Back