Bubbles when siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadster

Reaction score
I think I may have ruined a batch of beer during the bottling process. To make a long story short - while transferring the beer to the bottling bucket, I got bubbles in the wort - big bubbles.

I've heard that if you drink the beer quickly you may not necessarily taste the effects of oxidation. My batch was a big beer - a baltic porter - generally the type of beer you let sit in the bottle for a while before drinking.

My questions (1) Should I consider my beer ruined at this point? and (2) if it's not completely ruined, is there a general rule of thumb as to how much time I have to drink it before it starts tasting like cardboard? I want to balance the need to drink it quickly vs. the need to let it mature.

Any thoughts?

Well, that was not a good thing. But, a batch is never ruined..... until it is ruined. I would say proceed as planned. Try one in 3 weeks or so when it carbonates and see where it is. Try one every now and again and see how it is maturing. It is only in 4-8-12-16+ weeks that you will know if it is "ruined".

Get tighter tubing, better fit to siphon and spigot to avoid the "bubble stream." Try it out a few times with water first to make sure any "fix" is working before you try it with your next beer.

**Also, since you are bottle conditioning, the yeast may be able to consume some of the O2 that got in during the process as they carbonate the beer.

Back