bubbles in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradfordmon

Reaction score
I am making a Belgium trippel ale recipe. after the move to secondary carboy, there is some serious bubbling action going on. this is day two in secondary and it looks like a lot of activity is still being kicked up. is this normal and because of the high amount of sugar in the recipe that got stirred up after the move to secondary?

help to the newbie

That's just degassing; during fermentation, a lot of CO2 will end up in suspension in the liquid until it gets disturbed. Racking it to a secondary will agitate it enough that this gas comes out of solution, resulting in a lot of bubbling. Perfectly normal.

I noticed once when I did a stout I racked a little prematurely (first brew I ever did). When I dumped some of the yeast beer and trub into a mason jar, it was actually bubbling infront of my eyes. When the yeast settled and layered a bit I poured off the beer and it was carbonated and very tasty!

I have previously made two amber ales, and an octoberfest. the belgium trippel is still sending up major league bubbles, almost like looking at a pilsner after you pour it in a glass. this is day3 in secondary. I know I worry too much but it is bubbling so much that a little of the beer has now come into the CO2 exhaust valve. still ok right?

How long was it in primary. Did you take gravity readings before transferring to secondary. If not it may still be fermenting.
From what I have read Belgium Trippels take a long time to age before ready to bottle or keg.
I have a Dubbel in primary and plan to leave it there for 3 weeks then decide whether to primary longer or to move to secondary. I don't expect to taste it until the last week in Nov. or the first in Dec.

If you're getting krausen (i.e., the bubbles are collecting and hitting into the bubbler), then you've got fermentation. I agree with kh54 there: we need to know how long it was primaried and what its gravity readings were to figure things out. A photo of the surface of the beer might help too, as if it's an infection (which it still very well may not be), it'll be easier to diagnose on-sight.

Thank you all and after listening to you and a little more research I believe I pulled it out of primary too early (1week) and it is still fermenting. Although a week is what my recipe called for and it looked normal enough (hydrometer missed my sterilizing process) and i was in a rush so i followed instructions and racked. Guess I will leave it be in secondary for awhile.

Back