Bubbler will not stay in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arg1129

Reaction score
The I pitched my yeast last night and found the bubbler came off over night. There is no sign of the yeast working and the bung will not stay seated in the he it keeps pushing itself out. What can I do to fix this.

I assume by "bubbler" you mean an airlock, correct? Are you using a plastic bucket or carboy as your fermenter? If Carboy you should get a tighter fitting bung (they do come in different sizes). If bucket, you will either need to shove the airlock down further and/or make sure the black o-ring is in the hole. This creates a seal and prevents the airlock from coming out.

Another thing you can do is run a blowoff tube to a container of sanitized water. To see how to do this, just search for creating a blowoff tube for home brewing.

Good luck and cheers!

Probably got some sanitizer slipping things up.. Its happened to me too.. I have a role of medical tape and use it to tape down the bung to the glass... It eventually will stay in.. And the tape doesn't leave any glue behind.. Just drape it over two sides of the bung not touching the air lock.. I wouldn't try wiping it down with anything just pus it down as far as it can go and tape it..

In the future you could allow the bung to dry before inserting..

If its a bucket disregard my solution.. If its a carboy then you can give it a try.. I never had the airlock slip out on me..

Thank you. Sorry yea it is an airlock and a glass carboy. I went a little over zealous and tried an all grain for my second brew so I'm pushing a harder learning curve. I don't have to worry about it free venting or being open all night?

It's not likely a bucket, this generally happens with carboys, it's the sanitized parts that are wet and slippery causing this. I used a paper towel and carefully wiped just inside the carboy neck ( carefully, just at the top inside of the neck) once it's relatively dry in there the rubber bung should grab better.

Back