bubbled out of airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
so i brewed a Brewers Best Weizenbier kit last night using my 6.5 gal ale pale, it was 6.6lbs wheat LME and 5 gal water and after boiling and cooling and rehydrating the yeast i stirred the wort up real good to aerate and pitched the yeast and i came home just now to find brown liquid in my airlock and it wasnt bubbling...usually when the airlock is bubbling normally like it should if i barely push down on the lid bubbles come out alot faster because the pressure inside but when i push down even fairly hard on the lid it doesnt budge at all and little to no bubbles come out of the airlock, does this just mean the krausen is just built up to the top of the bucket preventing me from pushing the lid down? and what should i do from here, just suck the wort out of the airlock and refill it with clean water/vodka? im afraid to take the lid off in case the krausen is built up so high it just goes out all over the floor as soon as i take the lid off

ok lesson for this is, get a blow-off tube and use it on every brew !!!!

Wheat brews are prone to active/aggressive fermentation that is the norm

remove your air lock clean your air lock and do all of this in an area where spills are not going to cause any sort of trouble, not on carpet wort will stain and smell funny after a while, without a blow off tube you will have to keep a close eye on that thing for the next few days until the fermentation slows. If you have a racking cane with a hose on it use that in place of your air lock, put one end in to the hole on the top of your ale pail lid and the other in to a container of water/sanitizer solution

Back