Brutus Build - would appreciate everyone/anyone's thoughts/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_R

Reaction score
Hello all! So, I'm stepping up to all-grain and of course I couldn't do it the easy way so I'm building a Brutus 10 setup. I'm "out of town" for at least another month, but my pop has the frame half welded together but at least tack welded, leveled and plumbed square as can be - he somehow fryed the circuit board on the welder haha. What I'm looking for from you guys is your thoughts and suggestions on the actual components as I plan on having them shipped and waiting for me about the time I get home. I would like to do something similar to Lonnie's original setup as I like the simplicity of it - just with some upgrades to the control panel for the RIMS (read arduino). So without further ado...

Kettles - spike brewing 20 gal (maybe 15 gal as 20 could be more capacity than I need at the moment). I have also looked at Midwests heavy duty kettles ($50 off for the time being) and the tall boys. Both come with thermos and valves, but I prefer the sanitary weld setup on spike over the Weldless bulkheads. Anyone else have thoughts or alternatives?
As a side note, what is the advantage of a hinged vs. solid false bottom?

Pumps - 2x stainless chuggers.

Valves - 3 piece NPTs

Tubing - bev tubes, I need some suggestions here and supporting arguments ��

Quick disconnects - the standard is what I was thinking, but right now Cams are on sale as well?

Controller - was planning on putting an arduino PID together that will control the burners just like the original with asco valves and pilot lights...I'm not ruling out the Love controller, I just feel like the arduino is more "expandable" if I want to add serious automation down the line.

Thermometers for controller - everything I've read on here sounds like one-wire is the way to go?

Chiller - plate chiller, haven't picked out a specific one, will a 60 plate be large enough? I know I can always run it longer - I'm not made of money either...although this component list might make it sound otherwise haha.

Burners are already purchased, my dad's got em, can't remember what they are though. Pretty sure they're banjo-ish though.

Anything else I've forgotten or you guys think would be a good upgrade while still maintaining the original "KISS" layout?

Thanks ahead of time for the input, and yes I know that a lot of this info is out there in other threads, I've probably read them - which is where these ideas have come from in large part - but I'm trying to consolidate and see if there's new info ��. Thanks again!

Oh, and here's the stand as of today... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410047699.290728.jpg

It's got wheels!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410286875.662662.jpg

UPDATE: The welder is hard broke, printed circuit board is on it's way back to the manufacturer. If they can't fix it...I guess I know what I'm getting dad for an early birthday present. As such, feel free to add your suggestions and recommendations for a reliable and affordable (don't you hate that those two words rarely go together) tig welder haha. Seriously.

Well, the kettles arrived! Ended up going with stout....$$$$, but boy they are pretty!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412509782.147653.jpg

Also got the pumps in yesterday, the welder is fixed, brackets for the burners are going on in a day or two, got a set of banjo burners from NorCalBrewing Solutions! On that note, I'm working out my plumbing options and want to know - from you automated brewers out there most likely - if the following set up can be adapted to run off of an Arduino based controller instead? I appreciate the help!

https://www.oscsys.com/projects/brewtroller/system-design/direct-fired

- Jack
...this is going to be expensive...

Good thing that MLT is taller than the others (actually I now notice that's your boil kettle). :D. I'm waiting on my Stout kettles. I left 6 inches between, hope that's enough.

Todd

Good thing that MLT is taller than the others (actually I now notice that's your boil kettle). :D. I'm waiting on my Stout kettles. I left 6 inches between, hope that's enough.

Todd

Should be fine, those handles are about 2" additional each - so 4" total. Worst case is you have to rotate the kettles slightly so the handles are not in a linear orientation. What size did you get?

Went with the 15 gal (9-12 gal batch size as they refer to it). Should be here in a few weeks.

Todd

Ya, the 20s and 15s have the same diameters so I think they should fit just fine.

- Jack

What kind of setup do you have?

- Jack

Ya, the 20s and 15s have the same diameters so I think they should fit just fine.

- Jack

What size are the openings in your stand? Mine measure 12 openings, 16" across (2" tubing). Was banking on the kettles measuring 15.5" as stated.

I went with the HERMS HLT, bottom drain MLT.

Todd

Back