Brutus Build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingo223

Reaction score
What is the latest (2013) total build cost from anyone who has built a Brutus 10 recently?

Also, any care to share a list of the mods you made? I know there are a number of threads (some dated and others are fragmented with other discussion) on both of these questions.

Thanks a bunch for any experience and thoughts ahead of time.

Build cost is a huge variable number. It all depends on what components you use and where you source them. Every system is unique and no two alike, so you'll need to do some work to figure out what YOUR cost will be.

I'm doing a build right now. I opted to use slotted angle iron instead of SS to save some money, so ymmv.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Frame (angle iron, fittings, casters, etc) - $322.00
2 x chugger pumps - $290.00
solenoid valves x 2 - $65.00
camlocks/fittings/misc etc - $95.00
burners x 3 - $55.00
Propane plumbing/valves/etc - $170.00
brass orifices x 3 - $10.00

Right now I'm about a grand into this thing, and I still need 3 kettles, control panel/switches/wiring, temp controllers, thermowells, temp probes, and a plate chiller (and whatever else I decide to add later). Obviously I still have a ways to go, I'm estimating about another thousand or so. Keep in mind I'm building an entirely new system from the ground up, and not recycling components from my old setup. Obviously you could save some serious $$$ if you repurposed old kettles, burners, plumbing, etc from your current setup.

My stand is a work in progress. The 2"x2" mild steel cut to order was $108. The casters were $65. Two SS chuggar pumps and cam-locks were $500. The burners & regulators $100. Some stuff like welding gas,wire, spray paint, and gas for the car to get stuff ect... + $200. Plate chiller $100. weldless valves for kegs + $100. False bottom, valve, & dip tube + $80. You want to know how much it will cost??? A crap load! but you don't have to pay all at once.

My stand is a work in progress. The 2"x2" mild steel cut to order was $108. The casters were $65. Two SS chuggar pumps and cam-locks were $500. The burners & regulators $100. Some stuff like welding gas,wire, spray paint, and gas for the car to get stuff ect... + $200. Plate chiller $100. weldless valves for kegs + $100. False bottom, valve, & dip tube + $80. You want to know how much it will cost??? A crap load! but you don't have to pay all at once.

How thick was the mild steel you used? I was thinking of 14 gauge but I'm not sure if that is thick enough? I seem to remember reading in another thread 11 gauge.

I used 16 gauge, IMHO it's over kill. The weight limit for my stand is limited by the casers at a rating of 1200lbs. The weight of the steel on the invoice was 70lbs. I'd have no problem filling all the pots then having 5 of my fatest friends jump up and down on it. I was thinking 11 gauge before I asked to see it. If you went 11gauge (1/8th) that is going to be a heavy stand. Don't forget the weight of the casters, burners, gas pipe, pots, plate chiller, ect...

2013-03-19_18-16-57_705.jpg

Build cost is a huge variable number. It all depends on what components you use and where you source them. Every system is unique and no two alike, so you'll need to do some work to figure out what YOUR cost will be.

BTW Jon your set up is amazing- very well done on that thing.

For those of you who want a comparison I recently got a quote from More Beer and shipping alone was $1200 so back to the DIY drawing board.

Back