Bru'n Water, Mash PH and BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamInNJ

Reaction score
I had been using the water primer that's been posted here for previous batches, I decided to use the bru'n water spreadsheet for a Saison I'm making this weekend.

I've attached my adjustment summary. Does this look like I'm missing anything?

I'm building the profile entirely from distilled water. Since its BIAB, I calculated for the 8 gallons I'll be starting with. Since the mineral additions are calculated in g/gal I assumed that it would have to be based on the starting volume ( because that will be what's there during the mash).

I am curious if the boil off over the course of the brew day will leave the final water profile more minerally? I wonder if the 8gal worth of additions will affect the final taste of the beer significantly, or if it's a non-issue.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 4.13.48 PM.jpg

You should treat and acidify the Sparge water too. Use the sparge page for that. Also, did you fill in your grain bill? That could affect your mash pH in a big way.

Martin said yesterday that there is some risk of concentrating minerals if you have a huge boil off rate...he said in that case you can adjust water based on your anticipated post boil volume as a work around.

Good times!

I'm doing full volume BIAB and not sparging, so i didn't fill that out.

I did add my grain bill.

I'll try and find the thread he mentioned that in, sounds super relevant!

I say you look A-okay. I am an AG, no sparge, BIABer and your water summary page looks identical to mine. Never a problem with perception of mineral tastes.

I only barely ever had that once, but it was in an uber low OG beer (1.030) with dark colour (20 SRM).

I mash with 8-8.25 gallons and after all loses, I end up with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Back