Brun Water - Flaked Barley and Aromatic Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Brewing a hoppy brown ale tomorrow using Flaked Barley and Aromatic Malt. When entering into Brun Water, what grain type do I list flaked barley as?
How about Aromatic Malt? Base malt, since Briess lists it as a Munich malt that has diastatic power, or crystal malt?

The flaked grains should be entered as base malts since they haven't been kilned to increase their acidity. The aromatic malt can be entered as either base or crystal. I'm guessing that there isn't that much of this grain in the grist and it won't make a big difference in the prediction if either is selected.

Thanks Martin. There is only two pounds of the aromatic. I figured it wouldn't matter much, but had no idea what to do with the adjunct.

Malts are characterized by their DI water mash pH's and 3 parameters describing their buffering characteristics as a function of pH. The first parameter gives the buffering at DI mash pH. Thus we can plot malts on a two dimensional graph by plotting the first buffering coefficient vs mash pH. The plot below is such a plot. Read coordinates at the lower left point on the first letter in the label. There are four base malts, Munton's Maris Otter (MO Munt), Crisp Maris Otter (Crisp MO) Weyermann's Pneumatic Pils(Wym Pneu) and Weyermann's Floor Pils (Wym Flr). If we exclude the floor malt as being exccentric then the flaked barley clearly should not be included with the base malts as its coordinates are closer to that of Munich and Munich Franco Belges than it it to the other base malts. But of we include the floor malt as a base malt then we have to ask "What is a base malt?" as the range of base malts in buffering capacity icoporates flaked barley, Munich II and Vienna in buffering capacity.

MaltCoord.jpg

Back