Bru'n Water Adjustment - Did I Do This Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Trying to build up my water today for the first time. I'm using distilled water and I just want to be sure that I have the correct minerals to ensure the right mash. I've manipulated things in Bru'n Water and got my chloride and sulfates where I want them. Mash pH appears to be on target as well. The only thing that's giving me hesitation is that magnesium, sodium, and bicarbonate are still at zero since I haven't done anything to build them up.
Is that okay?

Here's what I have on the Adjustment Summary page:

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-19%20at%202.04.47%20PM.png

Trying to ensure I don't mess up my mash. Thanks!

In this case, you don't need any bicarbonate. That is true for most pale and amber beers. Usually the mash requires an acid addition. But in this case, you've added a pretty darn high amount of calcium salts and pushed the Ca, Cl, and SO4 to levels higher than I typically prefer. Get some acid and reduce those salt additions.

Mg and Na are not really needed and they are typically used in low concentrations to add flavor nuances.

Sorry to butt in to the thread, but curious about your comment Martin. Are you saying you'd REPLACE some of the calcium containing salts with an acid to keep the mash pH in an acceptable range?

Over mineralizing the brewing liquor with calcium (or magnesium) salts is not the best way to depress mash pH. Using an acid to help depress the pH in conjunction with an appropriate quantity of salts is a better approach.

Thanks for the replies. My target profile was:

Ca: 106 ppm
Cl: 134 ppm
SO4: 74 ppm

This is a major hop bomb IPA (you know, one of those NE ones that people like to hate on sometimes) and the profile came from another website where a group of homebrewers voted on every aspect of the recipe including the water. I'm very inexperienced with water tweaking, so I thought I would try this as a starting point. There is definitely a perception that this kind of chloride to SO4 ratio is what Trillium, Tree House, and their ilk are using. Though, I've seen counter arguments against it. Basically, the goal is for intense hop aroma/flavor with low perceived bitterness.

From what I'm reading above, it sounds like it's not your personal preference, but that the additions I have proposed will still technically work. I guess I don't really understand the acid addition comment if I'm still targeting the number above. Are you saying that you would rather change those numbers and use acid in the malt to adjust the pH instead?

Thanks again, all.

Ahh, if those levels of chloride and sulfate were your targets, then you are fine. If you were dealing with brewing more delicate styles, then my original recommendation would hold.

Ahh, if those levels of chloride and sulfate were your targets, then you are fine. If you were dealing with brewing more delicate styles, then my original recommendation would hold.

Appreciate the feedback a ton. I will no doubt get far more into the intricacies as I also adjust water for other styles.

Latest posts

Back