Brulosopher's Trub exBEERiment is done - and awsome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Circling back to the actual topic of this thread, I just had the chance to sample the two beers the Brulosopher brewed for this exBEERiment. Perhaps it was shipping, perhaps it was age... but I felt like the differences between the two were more than subtle. I would have gone so far as to believe that they were different beers had I not know better.

I did a full review on my blog.

I would it say it was all in your head, frankly. :)

You are very familiar with the experiment and its results. You knew which beer was which, and you had already preconceived notions about the taste of the beer before you tasted it. You were as biased as you could get; there was no way your brain was going to give you an accurate picture of those beers. Your brain already knew they were different beers, and so you got the answer you wanted!

I think it goes to show how important blind taste testing/triangle testing is in these sort of situations. Any sort of bias by a taster/reviews has huge effects on perception of taste, smell, favor-ability, etc.

Circling back to the actual topic of this thread, I just had the chance to sample the two beers the Brulosopher brewed for this exBEERiment. Perhaps it was shipping, perhaps it was age... but I felt like the differences between the two were more than subtle. I would have gone so far as to believe that they were different beers had I not know better.

I did a full review on my blog.

Nice write up. Did you read the blog entry before you did your test by any chance? Not saying that it might have influenced your perception of the two beers with some preconceived notions, but it would probably be worth setting up a blind triangle test next time. Regardless I think exploring shelf-life of both methods is also a worthy endeavor.

Obviously this isn't the end-all-be-all of trub experiments, but the results do seem to lend themselves to exploring the idea that trub separation (or the lack there of) might be another method of tweaking flavors/appearance, rather than something you are just suppose to do just because the books say so.

Finally kicked the Non-Truby keg... which means I can now enjoy Truby!! I like to save the best for last :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Update: I entered Truby in a local Cream Ale comp and it scored a 41, potentially taking first (haven't seen all the scores yet)!! That's the best score I've ever received on a beer... I don't enter many comps. Either way, I consider this confirmation that kettle trub in the fermentor certainly isn't bad and may even be a good thing.

Cheers!

No, unfortunately. It was a local club comp, so they would've known ;)

After reading the Trub exBEERiment, and having an affinity for simplicity (I'm lazy) I dumped the contents of my last brew into the fermenter.

Three weeks later, I bottled a great looking Hefe - only problem was that the recipe was an IPA. Milky cloudy. Opaque. I cursed the exBEERiment and the internet in general. The hydro tasted great so I figured this was a Red Solo Cup type of brew.

One week later and SWMBO insists on bringing the last six bottles of the previous batch to a party. The HefeIPA is in the bottle for only one week and I'm out of beer.

Desperate, I put a bottle in the fridge. It looks OK - only a bit hazy hmmm. I figure I'll get some chill haze by dinner time.

I pour the HefeIPA into a glass and I have THE CLEAREST BREW I HAVE EVER MADE.

Crystal clear. Sediment stays put.

What is going on here? No, I did not mix up batches. This is like magic - only real. Now I am pissed that I siphoned the following batch.

What yeast was used? The more flocculant yeasts tend to stick to the bottom of the bottle, even if you upend the thing.

I love Nottingham just because of that!

WLP002 which is a highly flocculant strain that I have been using for the past half dozen batches.
Same basic procedure with slightly different ingredients - this is the first beer I have brewed with commercial quality clarity.

Mind blown.

I've been dumping everything into the fermenter for the last five or six batches - ever since I read about the exBEERiment. Beers have all come out as clear - if not cleared - than my previous beers did.

I love anything that simplifies my brew day!

I've always dumped all of my kettle gunk except maybe a quart into the fermenter. Time is always going to produce the clearest beer. Many of us drink it before this happens. For the impatient, gelatin is the way to go for clear beer quickly. What would take a month cold in the keg/bottle takes 3 days with gelatin.

Back