Brown? Porter? I dont know what it is but i like it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
so i posted a while ago about my first original recipe (i came up with based on ingredients i had on hand)...well, i brewed it and just tasted it and i must admit, i was really quite impressed. it needs about a week more to carb, but it still tastes pretty good, really nice in fact.......stylistically, im not sure what it is though. I was thinking it would turn out like a brown, but it definately tastes more porter-like, although not quite like any porter ive ever tasted. I wanted to share the recipe as i actually made it and if anyone decides to try it out, let me know what you think!:mug:

8 lbs mountemellick light LME
1/2 lb 75 L crystal
1/4 lb special B
1/2 lb chocolate
2 oz victory
2 oz wheat malt. toasted for 10 min
1/2 oz chinook-60 min
1 oz styrian goldings-60 min
1 oz mt. hood-10 min
1 oz Kent Goldings-5 min
White Labs English Ale yeast

added extract 30 min into boil.

OG 1.060
FG 1.020

at first i thought chinook was too agressive for this beer, but it was only half an ounce and it has mellowed nicely. i may experiment with different hop varieties when i make it again. maybe even dryhopping with some KG?

anyway, just wanted to share the recipe......i think ill go have a beer..........

Congrats on the brew. Its always nice when they come together, even better when you have good notes and can make it again.

I'd call it an American Brown, since there's no Black Patent in it. Pelican's Doryman's Dark is probably the top example of the style.

david_42 said:
I'd call it an American Brown, since there's no Black Patent in it. Pelican's Doryman's Dark is probably the top example of the style.[/QUOTE

Does Special B = Black Patent? I think it does, but maybe Im wrong. If Im wrong, what is Special B? Thanks

Jason

Jayfro21 said:
david_42 said:
I'd call it an American Brown, since there's no Black Patent in it. Pelican's Doryman's Dark is probably the top example of the style.[/QUOTE

Does Special B = Black Patent? I think it does, but maybe Im wrong. If Im wrong, what is Special B? Thanks

Jason
Special B is a dark Belgian crystal malt, I think around 180L. It is not Black Patent.

I also don't think Brown Porters traditionally have Black Patent. Robust Porters almost always do but Brown Porters are more like the middle ground between a brown ale and a robust porter. Darker and more roasty than the Brown Ale but not nearly as strong in flavor or alcohol as the robust porter.
I made a Brown Porter recently that I classified after the brew. No Black Patent in the recipe either but it has a nice roasty and malty flavor. I will have to repeat this brew sometime.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Jayfro21 said:
Special B is a dark Belgian crystal malt, I think around 180L. It is not Black Patent.

I also don't think Brown Porters traditionally have Black Patent. Robust Porters almost always do but Brown Porters are more like the middle ground between a brown ale and a robust porter. Darker and more roasty than the Brown Ale but not nearly as strong in flavor or alcohol as the robust porter.
I made a Brown Porter recently that I classified after the brew. No Black Patent in the recipe either but it has a nice roasty and malty flavor. I will have to repeat this brew sometime.
Craig

Ok that makes sense, thanks!

Jason

Yup i chose to leave the BP out and keep the roastiness nice and mellow. the special B adds a really nice and different kind of caramelly/raisiny sweetness....that combined with the chocolate i think makes this beer!

Back