Brown Patch During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verboten1

Reaction score
I have started a batch of oktoberfest lager and it has been in the primary fermenter for 2 days now.

I checked on it today and there is what looks like a brown slimey patch on the head of the beer. This is only my second brew and not sure if this is abnormal or if it will dissappear throughout the process. I am hoping it is not a bacterial growth as I am very careful with cleaning everything I use.

Picture of it is in my profile gallery. Any help is appreciated

You're probably just fine. It could be anything from hop particles to random protein. If your sanitation was good you really don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks Gordie, I will leave it be for now.

Is there anything specific I should watch for on it that would indicate if this is a problem?

The smell is similar to a batch of stout i have made that does not have this anomaly.

I looked at the picture. It's probably just a clump of yeast and trub that got shot up to the surface by CO2. It's probably fine. Depending on the yeast strain (lager), you should smell a sulfury odor.

Don't look at it and everything will be ok!

+1

I have seen some pretty scary things going in in there and all went well. The yeastys are just having a party and making a mess. Just like parents - it's better to not know whats goes.

I looked at the picture. It's probably just a clump of yeast and trub that got shot up to the surface by CO2. It's probably fine. Depending on the yeast strain (lager), you should smell a sulfury odor.

+1

I get those all the time in the krausen of my beers as well. Thanks for the picture, btw, it makes it so much easier to give advice.

Latest posts

Back