Brown Must. Yikes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
I've crushed enough red muscadines to make 2 gallons of wine. When I poured the sugar water in, the beautiful reddish purple color turned brown. The pots were cleaned. What's going on? I've only been making wine for 3 years. I've never seen my initial fermenter turn brown. I haven't added yeast yet. Will do that in 12 hours.

Yes, I used crushed campden tabs. After sitting for 2 hours, the wine is back to its original color. Was this a strange chemical reaction? Everything was washed. The muscadines were sprayed in a strainer to remove dirt, etc. Very odd.

Was the water distilled or RO, or tap? Our unsoftened water is alkiline enough to change color of grape juice, coffee, other things that apparently change color with pH.

I used distilled water. Heated it enough to dissolve the sugar, then poured it over the must.

6 or 7 hours later, the must is looking good. The color is right. I have no idea what happened when I poured the sugar water. I guess I whined before it was time.

Back