Brown Flakes after Krausen Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebyte

Reaction score
Only my 2nd batch, this is a Irish Red Ale that started with a nice Krausen, active fermentation, etc.

During the fermentation process you could see darker "crust" flakes forming throughout the top.

Now that the Krausen has dropped, the brown flakes are suspended on top.

Is this normal?

IMG_6911.jpg

don't worry,all normal, just rack from under and watch as it nears the pick up and stop.make sure to let it finish, even when done and at FG this yeast benefits from a week or two of cleanup.

don't worry,all normal, just rack from under and watch as it nears the pick up and stop.make sure to let it finish, even when done and at FG this yeast benefits from a week or two of cleanup.

Thanks hottpeper. I had read elsewhere that these are just yeast colonies likely supported on the surface by CO2.

I think I will let it continue to condition right in the primary, I had heard someone else mention the extra week helped the flavor with their Irish Red. I'll give it three weeks total and then bottle.

I'm in no hurry, so I might as well give it the extra week.

Thanks again!
Jason

They do indeed look like yeast rafts to me. I've gotten that on occasion. Give it a few days to off-gas & see if they settle back down.

Back