Brown Ale.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Right now I have a batch NB's Caribou Slobber fermenting. This is a 1 gallon extract kit and I've heard good reviews about it, but I'm curious if any brown drinkers know of any other full bodied brown ale extract recipe. Thanks!

Love a great brown ale! I found some very good recipes here on HBT and my tastes run more toward the northern British styles due to higher abv% and flavors. I haven't brewed a brown ale in a good while though.

Love a great brown ale! I found some very good recipes here on HBT and my tastes run more toward the northern British styles due to higher abv% and flavors. I haven't brewed a brown ale in a good while though.

Thanks, I just noticed the "Recipe" tab above. Will definitely check it out.

I do like brown ales - it's the famous beer from my home city (Newcastle Brown Ale). That said, I prefer a Southern brown ale, or certainly something that sits between the two styles. Plus, Newcastle Brown Ale is nothing like it used to be when it was brewed at the S&N brewery (it's brewed in Tadcaster now and is too sweet).

I do like brown ales - it's the famous beer from my home city (Newcastle Brown Ale). That said, I prefer a Southern brown ale, or certainly something that sits between the two styles. Plus, Newcastle Brown Ale is nothing like it used to be when it was brewed at the S&N brewery (it's brewed in Tadcaster now and is too sweet).

Compared to my home town local micro brewery brown ale, New Castle tastes watered down. Not full bodied like Bitteschlappe Brown Ale.

My last batch was supposed to be a brown ale. It turned out more like a stout. But it was a damn good stout. Next time I'm taking the black patent out completely.

Right now I have a batch NB's Caribou Slobber fermenting. This is a 1 gallon extract kit and I've heard good reviews about it, but I'm curious if any brown drinkers know of any other full bodied brown ale extract recipe. Thanks!

are you committed (or limited) to 1 gallon batches?

are you committed (or limited) to 1 gallon batches?

Well, I bought the 1 gallon kit and 3 extra 1 gallon fermenting carboys. However I just got a 4 gallon brew pot so I plan on brewing 2 batches at a time and dividing it into 2 carboys to ferment.

Since you have already bought from NB, how about this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/nut-brown-ale-small-batch-recipe-kit

I have made it in a 5 gallon batch. It is good!

Yes, I saw that one.....may give it a try after I drink some Caribou Slobber. My goal is to brew a clone to Excelsior Brewery's Bitteschlappe Brown Ale. This is the best, full-bodied brown ale I've ever tasted and it has a ABV of 6.8% :mug:

Did a google search for a Bitteschlappe recipe. No luck. Their website only mentions Vienna malt and German hops. It will take some experimenting to clone. Given enough tries you should be able to get close. Good luck.

Love the CS, and this is one that I prefer the extract version over the AG. Although I do tend to step it up to a PM batch by adding some extra grains, and dryhopping with 1 oz. of Liberty.
If you are perusing the NB site, the Nutbrown ale is another good one, and if they still have J.P.'s recipe that used to be called 'Belladonna Took's oaked mild', that is another good one- it turned me on to the Cherrywood smoked malt which is fantastic in modest amounts.

Did a google search for a Bitteschlappe recipe. No luck. Their website only mentions Vienna malt and German hops. It will take some experimenting to clone. Given enough tries you should be able to get close. Good luck.

Yep, but before moving to Florida, I lived about 3 miles from Excelsior Brewery and became friends with John Klick (owner) and Niles (head brewer). So, when I go back to Excelsior for a wedding next month I'll stop into the brewery for a couple browns and pick Niles brain for the recipe. I'm pretty sure he'll tell me because he knows I live in Florida now and don't have access to Bitteschlappe.

Yep, but before moving to Florida, I lived about 3 miles from Excelsior Brewery and became friends with John Klick (owner) and Niles (head brewer). So, when I go back to Excelsior for a wedding next month I'll stop into the brewery for a couple browns and pick Niles brain for the recipe. I'm pretty sure he'll tell me because he knows I live in Florida now and don't have access to Bitteschlappe.

That would be the best way to make a clone!!!!

Back