Brown Ale recipe help + Using nuts for flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeverwine

Reaction score
Hey there Brewgeniuses. I was hoping for some help here before brew day on Feb. 3rd

So I have this basic Brown Ale recipe I developed based on an extract recipe I made before and some info I found on here. I want to add a 1/2 cup blend of powdered Hazelnuts and Walnuts either in the mash or the last 15 minutes of the boil or in secondary or whatever seems to be the best idea. I have heard that nuts can be detrimental to head retention as they are mostly fat and protein. Is there any way to safely incorporate them so I can get the flavor of the nuts without having extreme issues in the final product? Here's the recipe.

Recipe: Hazelnut/Walnut Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 25.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Aroma Steep
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz

Any info you brilliant HBT folks have will be most appreciated.

Cheers :mug:

One of my favorite beers, Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan, uses dry roasted pecans in the mash. Not sure of the exact process but I know they add them in their mash.

I'd say try adding them in the mash, and if you don't get the flavor you want in the end, add them in boil. The boil will introduce more flavor, maybe make it boil for 20-25 minutes. The only way to truly be sure, is to try it. That's how we find what we like and don't like. The end product will still be a drinkable beer! Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'll do is fat wash them like that blog post you linked, and add that in the last 5-15 minutes of the boil. Anybody have any comments on the recipe itself?

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'll do is fat wash them like that blog post you linked, and add that in the last 5-15 minutes of the boil. Anybody have any comments on the recipe itself?

If fat washed, wouldn't it make more sense to add post fermentation? (I.E. at secondary or bottling)

Thanks for the link 14th. I've been looking for a way to deal with pecans for a pecan porter - this is exactly what I'll do! (I'll add the extract at bottling).

Back