Brown ale - og 1.075 / fg 1.019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I know brown ales have lower ABV. But I'm making these brown ales with 8.5lb LME and 1lb brown sugar steeped 0.5lb roast and 0.25lb each crystal and roast malt. S05 yeast.

Does this fit a style ? Or am I in no man's land here?

Another old thread...

Not enough information... What type of LME? What Crystal? What you describe could be a somewhat dark ale to a barleywine depending on what the LME, crystal, roast, roast malts and volumes were.

How did it turn out.

In2bump. Nut brown fan here. Am also eager for the results. Gl with the batch.

Style wise the numbers are a little high for BJCP American Brown Ale. But that doesn't matter if that's what you want. Brew on.

You should add the honey shortly after primary fermentation is done to get the most honey flavour. If you are worried about sanitizing then add it just after you finish you boil. If you boil honey you lose most, if not all, of the aromatics.

If it works for you then dont stop.
Its just what I picked up by looking at brewing with honey, ending up making meads. Its only in older recipes that you see someone boiling honey. So far I have not even pasteurized any honey in brewing.

Back