Brown ale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcstrom

Reaction score
I've been looking at different recipes for a nut brown ale. One calls for a "brown ale malt". I'm pretty sure I've never seen that at the local homebrew store. Does such a thing exist or is it a renamed other type of malt? Also, it calls for Northdown hops (in addition to Northern Brewer) which I don't think I've seen either. Can anyone recommend a good substitute they may have?

iPhone app Hopularity suggests Challenger as a substitute for Northdown hops.

"Fruity with some spiciness"

You're probably referring to Brown Malt. I like to use it in my porters. If you can't find it at your LHBS, you should be able to find it online. It's fairly common again, although it is more of an historical ingredient.

I was able to find Brown malt at one of my LHBS. The owner of the other store didn't even know what it was. Before finding this, I found a couple places online, and in a book "Radical Brewing" some instructions for kilning your own in your oven from an english malt.

Back