Brooklyn Brew Shop's Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out One step, easy clean, they're both no-rinse sanitizers. I'm thinking that BBS's sanitizer is based on C-Brite, but not for sure.

From Midwest Supplies FAQ ONE-STEP – This environmentally friendly product contains no chlorine, which can leave a film on glassware and corrode stainless steel. Requires two minutes of contact time, and no rinsing is necessary. Use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. One time use when used as a final rinse. Works well on plastic and metals. In a closed, clean container in a refrigerator, the solution is good for over a month (but let it warm up before you use it)."

I actually bought One Step but was told the same thing that govner1 mentioned. Not a certified sanitizer. Works well for a cleaner though! Starsan seems to be the fan favorite, but I find it rough on my skin and I prefer powdered.

Anyone have any experience with C-brite? Unfortunately, this is marketed as a cleaner as well, so I'm not sure that I trust it!

I actually bought One Step but was told the same thing that govner1 mentioned. Not a certified sanitizer. Works well for a cleaner though! Starsan seems to be the fan favorite, but I find it rough on my skin and I prefer powdered.

Anyone have any experience with C-brite? Unfortunately, this is marketed as a cleaner as well, so I'm not sure that I trust it!

C-brite used to be marketed as a cleanser/sanitizer, somewhere along the way the rules around calling something a sanitizer changed and rather than pay to certify it everywhere they opted to start calling it a cleanser. Here is a relevant post from stack exchange. It is chlorine based so while you don't have to rinse it you do have to let it dry before using the equipment otherwise you run the risk of chlor-phenol developing in your beer resulting in band-aid beer.

Just go with star-san. Use a syringe like you give small children medicine with and mix 6ml to 1 gallon of distilled or RO water. Pour in a spray bottle and spray everything with it. an 8 oz bottle makes 40 gallons of sanitizer and will last you many brew days.

Edit, on a cost per gallon basis Star-San is usually the lowest cost as well.

C-brite used to be marketed as a cleanser/sanitizer, somewhere along the way the rules around calling something a sanitizer changed and rather than pay to certify it everywhere they opted to start calling it a cleanser. Here is a relevant post from stack exchange. It is chlorine based so while you don't have to rinse it you do have to let it dry before using the equipment otherwise you run the risk of chlor-phenol developing in your beer resulting in band-aid beer.

Just go with star-san. Use a syringe like you give small children medicine with and mix 6ml to 1 gallon of distilled or RO water. Pour in a spray bottle and spray everything with it. an 8 oz bottle makes 40 gallons of sanitizer and will last you many brew days.

Edit, on a cost per gallon basis Star-San is usually the lowest cost as well.

Buckled and bought some Starsan today. I have well water but also a water softener because our water is a bit hard (not terrible, doesn't leave a film on anything). Will StarSan work okay?? What's "RO water"? Thanks!

Buckled and bought some Starsan today. I have well water but also a water softener because our water is a bit hard (not terrible, doesn't leave a film on anything). Will StarSan work okay?? What's "RO water"? Thanks!

RO is reverse osmosis...a water filtering process

Back