Broke my racking cane....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy_fenton

Reaction score
Ok....I was attempting to remove the syphon hose from the end of my racking cane so I could clean both after bottling my beer last night. I guess I applied a little too much force and snapped the racking cane right at the bend. Is there an easy way or trick to get the hose on and off the racking cane and/or bottle filler so I can avoid something like this happening again? Thanks!

HAHA I did the same thing. If you don't want to buy a new cane just cut the end smooth and reattach the hose. soke them in the cleaner of yer choice in a drywall bucket.

I did the same thing, but I never bought a new one. I use spigots on my fermenters and brew pot (check my gallery). No more siphoning!

If you don't want to invest in anything but a new racking cane, try dipping the end with the hose attached in a pot of near boiling water before attempting to remove the siphon hose.

I broke 2 of them the exact same way. Now I heat the tubing with hot water until I can barely touch it and then twist the tubing being careful to not put any pressure on the cane. It takes quite a few turns but it eventually breaks free and slides right off. Haven't broken one since I started using this method.

i would say also to not put that much tubing on the cane, just enough to seal. when i do it this way, i just twist a bit when cleaning, and the tubing comes right off

gnef said:
i would say also to not put that much tubing on the cane, just enough to seal. when i do it this way, i just twist a bit when cleaning, and the tubing comes right off

But be certain it is on well enough not to be pulled free by the weight of your beer. Nothing like have your full hose go popping off spraying your wort all over.

After my second racking cane broke, I just picked up an SS one and never worried about it again.

Wild

yeah, I'm going to pick up Stainless Steel one soon as well. I put mine in warm water then push it forward a little first to get it loose, then take it off.

I am dismayed. Not one smartass remark about having one's 'siphon hose' break the tip off this guy's 'racking cane' followed up by a bunch of old guys saying 'gotta get a metal one'.

This forum has changed. :)

kornkob said:
I am dismayed. Not one smartass remark about having one's 'siphon hose' break the tip off this guy's 'racking cane' followed up by a bunch of old guys saying 'gotta get a metal one'.

I haven't broke mine, but I was cleaning it once and it went off ;)

kornkob said:

:off: My racking cane is bent, but I don't bottle any!

Back