Broke a Carboy Today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you're doing ok.

I recently started using my corny kegs for fermenting. It works really well and their alot easier to move around. Plus, I now rack my beer with co2 instead of siphoning. It's really cool.

I agree, you do need to get brewing :)

At least your middle finger works. That is the one I use the most.

Glad to hear that things are moving in a good direction!

Be careful picking your nose. With no feeling in your index finger, you could go too deep and cause brain damage! :)

Man this is making me want to abandon my glass carboys. I was okay with not dropping them, but just falling apart in your hands..... OUCH. Glad you're relatively ok.

I have 3 carboys on the shelf. I use the smaller 5 Gal for simple long term aging.... However I realize as I see this thread I haven't touched them in a year plus.

I use buckets after seeing one of these things break 1 minute after being set down..... Suddenly there was a sound of breaking glass, feet were wet and Porter covering the entire floor. No thanks.....

I hope your doing better now...

My story has gotten some people thinking, and this thread is the result. I'm participating in the testing by sacrificing one of my remaining carboys. There was one promising test done so far, so I'm hoping that my sacrificial carboy fares well too.

I'm still working to get my arm back up to full working order, but six weeks in a cast has left it thin and weak. I'm hoping that two to three weeks from now, the only reminder I'll have is the scar.

Man this is making me want to abandon my glass carboys. I was okay with not dropping them, but just falling apart in your hands..... OUCH. Glad you're relatively ok.

Don't abandon them

This is what I do with the glass carboy when I use it. It the one on the left inside a 5 gallon bucket. If it goes no shards all over and no beer on the floor.And I can pick it up with the pails handle never touching the carboy.

swamp.JPG

it comes out of the bucket fairly easy but in reality the inside is what needs to be clean and sanitized. The outside I just wipe with dishrag and soap.

Don't abandon them

This is what I do with the glass carboy when I use it. It the one on the left inside a 5 gallon bucket. If it goes no shards all over and no beer on the floor.And I can pick it up with the pails handle never touching the carboy.

swamp.JPG

I'd like to have it setup to it's high enough to siphon from to my kegs and low enough to transfer to from BK. I need a pump. Then it would never need touch besides cleaning, and picking them up empty isn't my concern.

it comes out of the bucket fairly easy but in reality the inside is what needs to be clean and sanitized. The outside I just wipe with dishrag and soap.

But if you take it out of the bucket, then you're holding an unprotected carboy, which can break...which is how the OP was injured...

But if you take it out of the bucket, then you're holding an unprotected carboy, which can break...which is how the OP was injured...

Yeah, but since it's the inside that needs cleaning, you wouldn't really need to take it out. Just be careful turning it upside down to dry.

BTW, the Plasti Dip stuff looks promising. I'll post my results of the sacrificial carboy test this weekend.

I just ordered my first Better Bottle because of this thread. I'm a fairly clumsy dude and I'm not really into serious injuries.

I ordered a 6 gal Better Bottle as a primary because of this thread and because I dropped a glass pitcher 2 weekends ago doing a partial mash sparge and cut my foot, as well as completely threw off my brewing sched!!! ;) Can't imagine the destruction a glass carboy would do.

What do we think about this deal for secondaries? They are 5 gal PET bottles, and a great price.

Two 5 Gallon (PET) Water Bottles

i have one bb and multiple glass carboys. after losing the 6.5 gal glass, full with freshly pitched yeast to the basement floor i put them all in milk crates. don't ask where i stole the milk crates from... ;)

i've not brewed in a year, and my bb had an old yeast cake in it as well as the blow off ring at the top, all sealed up. it took a rinse, and a twenty minute soak in oxiclean, and the gunk fell right out. no brushing needed. my glass would have required a scrub at least.

uglygoat, is that Bush with a bong in your avatar?

As far as plastic as a fermentation vessel is concerned, I'm not opposed to it. I'm sure it has as many, if not more, pros and cons than glass. I have two 6.5 gal and (will be down to two after my sacrificial carboy testing) 5 gal glass carboys. I don't want to go out and replace my equipment just yet. Especially when plastic has a limited life span. Glass will last as long as it's intact. I'm saving for a SS conical fermentor, but in the meantime, I need to use the equipment I have now.

I posted this on this thread, but I figured I'd quote it here too:

Here's what I did to test this idea:

I bought a 14 oz can of Plasti Dip, cleaned the outside of the carboy with soap and water, then cleaned with rubbing alcohol using a paper towel, and then painted the Plasti Dip (without diluting it with anything) onto the carboy with a sponge brush. The 14 oz can gave me enough to apply four coats to the carboy.

PICT1131.jpg

Once dry, I took it outside, placed it in a cardboard box, filled to about 3/4 full with water, then tried hitting it with a hammer. The box didn't allow much room to swing the hammer with enough force to break it, so I decided to try dropping it. The first couple of drops were on the lawn, which seemed to give a little when being impacted by the weight. I then placed a piece of slate under the box, and tried dropping it on that. The first two attempts weren't successful, but I was determined, so I dropped it a third time. With the final drop, I tried to direct it onto the corner. That did the trick.

I quickly grabbed my camera to take pictures of the aftermath. Notice the water level in the box. There were several small holes in the coating that were spraying water out. It won't save the beer, but it will slow the loss down.

PICT1132.jpg

PICT1133.jpg

PICT1134.jpg

Though it isn't 100% safe from shards of glass puncturing the skin, it does seem to add a measure of protection. I will be doing this to all of my remaining carboys in the near future.

uglygoat, is that Bush with a bong in your avatar?

As far as plastic as a fermentation vessel is concerned, I'm not opposed to it. I'm sure it has as many, if not more, pros and cons than glass. I have two 6.5 gal and (will be down to two after my sacrificial carboy testing) 5 gal glass carboys. I don't want to go out and replace my equipment just yet. Especially when plastic has a limited life span. Glass will last as long as it's intact. I'm saving for a SS conical fermentor, but in the meantime, I need to use the equipment I have now.

Plastic has a limited lifespan? Since when.

Plastic has a limited lifespan? Since when.

Sorry, I should have said that plastic carboys/buckets will need to be replaced after a few years due to infections. Of course, plastic will last almost forever.

Also, if one is careful to not cause a small scratch in the plastic, a plastic carboy/bucket could last many years.

Sorry, I should have said that plastic carboys/buckets will need to be replaced after a few years due to infections. Of course, plastic will last almost forever.

Also, if one is careful to not cause a small scratch in the plastic, a plastic carboy/bucket could last many years.

True, I have a friend that has been using buckets for over 15 years.

After tonight's mess, I am done with glass. Plastic all the way. I'm lucky I only have two teeny tiny puncture wounds.

Wow, someone dug up my old post...:drunk:

Since my carboy incident, I've gone stainless. I now ferment in Sanky kegs. One is a half barrel, and the other is 13.2 gal. I also upgraded to 10 gal batches since I had the room. I still have the glass carboys but I don't use them much. I'll keep them for meads and ciders, and the occasional high gravity beer. I don't think I'd like to ferment and age in a plastic container.

How did yours break?

Wow, someone dug up my old post...:drunk:

Since my carboy incident, I've gone stainless. I now ferment in Sanky kegs. One is a half barrel, and the other is 13.2 gal. I also upgraded to 10 gal batches since I had the room. I still have the glass carboys but I don't use them much. I'll keep them for meads and ciders, and the occasional high gravity beer. I don't think I'd like to ferment and age in a plastic container.

How did yours break?

I was pouring the StarSan into a spare container, and my grip slipped. It dropped about four inches and disintegrated. No harm no foul, except I had five gallons of cooled wort that needed to go somewhere quick.
After letting the wife know the explanations would have to wait, I got an empty bucket sterilized and drilled a lid. Everybody happy now, except the wife.

Yep, mine wasn't happy either. You're lucky though, you got away relatively unharmed. I still don't have feeling in my index finger. Well, I should say that I can't feel objects like when I hold a pen or a fork, but I do feel little tingly sensations whenever I put pressure on that finger. The middle finger and thumb are about half numb, but no tingles. That and a nice crosshair scar on my wrist are the reminders if what happened.

Yep, mine wasn't happy either. You're lucky though, you got away relatively unharmed. I still don't have feeling in my index finger. Well, I should say that I can't feel objects like when I hold a pen or a fork, but I do feel little tingly sensations whenever I put pressure on that finger. The middle finger and thumb are about half numb, but no tingles. That and a nice crosshair scar on my wrist are the reminders if what happened.

Best wishes for a full recovery, bud. I got off easy, I think. Not going to risk that again.
Plastic or SS from now on.

Look into getting a Sanky keg or two. They are pretty much indestructible, even around me. And, they make perfect fermentation vessels. The only problem I've had is the weight. 10 gal of fermenting beer isn't light, so moving it around is a little tough. Other that that, cleaning and sanitizing are easy, the beer isn't exposed to light, and, once I get a couple of these, lifting them up to syphon into my Cornys won't be a problem. I sanitize by pouring a gallon of water in it, covering the opening with aluminum foil, and placing on my burner for about 20 minutes.

I had the same experience with one of my index fingers. It may take a few years but it should get back to normal. Mine was tingly too, like half asleep. If I barely banged the side of it where the most scare tissue was it was an excruciating pain (burning). Now there is none and the feeling is back to normal.

Glad to hear that Yambor. Hopefully I'll recover as much as you, but my injury is with my wrist. The scar tissue is on the palm side of my wrist, and if I rub it, I feel electric shocks in the middle finger and thumb, and some pin pricks in my index finger. I know it'll take a while, but damn, it's taking forever. It'll be a year in a few days. Hopefully, I'll be able to say that I'm back to normal by this time next year.

I did a nice job with my thumb about 5 years ago, getting it caught between a sledge hammer and a concrete block. Popped it like a cherry tomato.

After it healed, it was numb. After about a year, only the tip was still numb. Now (5 years later) I have feeling all the way through it. The tip still feels a little weird, but the feeling is back.

So, maybe there is hope yet for your index finger. Good luck. (BTW, after breaking a glass carboy in my pool I am now exclusively better bottles. I would have nothing else).

Glad to hear that Yambor. Hopefully I'll recover as much as you, but my injury is with my wrist. The scar tissue is on the palm side of my wrist, and if I rub it, I feel electric shocks in the middle finger and thumb, and some pin pricks in my index finger. I know it'll take a while, but damn, it's taking forever. It'll be a year in a few days. Hopefully, I'll be able to say that I'm back to normal by this time next year.

It should be better but don't be surprised if it takes several....years.

I'm glad you're ok. Yesterday I was helping a physically challenged brewer brew, and was carrying one of his better bottles in a brew hauler into the house for him. The bottle slipped out of the carrier and hit the gorund all that happened was that the orange stopper went flying and maybe a half gallon or less of wort shot out before I righted it, re-sanitized the stopper and replaced it. I kept thinking if that had been a glass carboy that would have been a lost batch, and maybe an injury on my part. There wasn't even a dent in the plastic of the BB.

I think that's another vote for plastic over carboys anyday.

Good to hear you're doing ok. I own many glass carboys and you have me scared now. I have so many that I probably won't get rid of them, but will surely reconsider my handling technique and cleaning processes.

Soper, you may want to try the Plasti-Dip. A few pages back, I posted a test I did with my sacrificial carboy. It held up pretty well. I don't think it'll save a batch in a scenario like Revvy's, but it is likely that it'll prevent a serious injury.

BTW, if you look at the date of the original post, I broke the carboy on June 9th of last year. In a few days, it'll be my first anniversary of the divorce from feeling in my index finger. It's kinda funny that this thread keeps getting dug up though.

Latest posts

Back