British summer ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubrew

Reaction score
I would like to brew a English Summer Ale and would love someone to throw together a 3G recipe for me. I have no experience formulating recipes. I have done a few batches of AG BIAB and am continuing to refine my process.

I already have some Fuggles and some EKG hops so if the recipe used those that wold be great.

Many thanks

I have included below the style guidelines from the Brewers Association.

English-style summer ale is pale to light amber colored. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. They have low to medium residual malt sweetness. Torrefied and/or malted wheat are often used in quantities of 25% or less. Malt flavor may be biscuit-like. Hop bitterness is medium-low to medium. English, American or Noble-type hop flavor and aroma is low to medium-low and should not be assertive and always well balanced with malt character. It has light to medium-light body. Mild carbonation traditionally characterizes draft-cask versions. In bottled versions, normal or lively carbon dioxide content is appropriate. The overall impression is refreshing and thirst quenching. Fruity-ester characters are acceptable at low to moderate levels. No
butterscotch-like diacetyl or sweet corn-like dimethylsulfide (DMS) should be apparent in aroma or flavor.
Original Gravity (oPlato) 1.036-1.050 (9-12.5 oPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (oPlato) 1.006-1.012 (1.5-3 oPlato) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 2.9-4% (3.6-5%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 20-30 ● Color SRM (EBC) 4-7 (8-14 EBC)

Perhaps the Ol' Bitter Bastard NHC 2013 winner recipe? I am sorry I do not have the link on hand, but search that. I just made the recipe but instead of the darker British Crystal malt, you could use the lighter Brotish Crystal malt (55-65L)??

I brew my golden/summer ales pretty much the same every time, usually Golden Promise for the base malt with around 5-10% torrified wheat. If I want it a little darker, I'll add 1-2% extra dark crystal (150L). For UK hop varieties, First Gold is a great choice (it has a nice orange peel/herbal character) and Challenger is another favorite of mine. Both of which go very well with EKG.

For hopping, I'll usually go with a 60, 15, and 0 addition, aiming for around 25 IBUs, with a starting gravity of 1.045-48. However, the key to achieving the clean, easy drinking character of these beers lies with your yeast choice and fermentation control. Given how simple the recipes are, you want some yeast character, but not so much that it gets in the way of the malt and hops. I would avoid yeasts that are prone to producing big fruity esters or diacetyl. High flocculation also helps. FYI, wy1469, when fermented cool (62-64F) makes a very nice golden ale.

Here is a very simple, but tasty recipe scaled for 3 gallons, assuming 70% efficiency.

5.5lbs Golden Promise
0.5lbs Torrified Wheat

0.25 oz First Gold (7.5% aa) at 60 min
0.50 oz First Gold at 5 min
1.50 oz First Gold at flameout

1.048, 25-28 IBU, 5 srm, WY1469.

Also, the Crouch Vale brewers gold recipe posted here is worth a look. It makes a very tasty beer.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77535&start=15#p725775

I brewed this a few times, I found the recipe in Zymurgy

Bastage Summer Ale
og 1.031
ibu 28
abv 3% +/-

5.12 lb Maris Otter
14 oz Vienna Malt
5 oz wheat malt
3 oz caramalt 30

16 g Magnum @ 60 min

Thanks for the help guys. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Bierhaus15, I haven't yet messed around with any liquid yeasts and starters etc. i have used Danstar Nottingham before and found it to be quite neutral in flavour. Would this be an appropriate selection?

I brewed this on the weekend.

I had a little difficulty with temp control during the mash but otherwise everything went well.

Back