British Beer Binge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've been on a British beer binge now for a little while as I truly love a good ESB, but also really like your IPA as it contrasts so starkly to ours, a northern brown, a stout or porter, and a barley wine. I also really like a Scottish beer and Irish red.

So I've bought Old Speckled Hen, Fuller's ESB, Trooper (Iron Maiden), Wells Bombardier, Samuel Smith's IPA and oatmeal stout, and New Castle brown.

This time I bought more Fuller's ESB, as well as their London Pride, and Boddington's Pub Ale, which I'm unhappy to find that InBev owns as I don't like supporting them or their business practices. Oh well...

Any recommendations?

Travel to england, find a 1,000 year old building with a pub and have cask ale. The best

george-inn.jpg

Not 1000 years old--about half that--but we had an awesome evening of good pub grub and cask-conditioned ales about 10 years ago.

In St. Briavels, near the Welsh border. I so want to go back!

george-inn.jpg

Travel to england, find a 1,000 year old building with a pub and have cask ale. The best

Well, you are not going to find any that old.

Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem in Nottingham is one of a number that claim to be the oldest pub in the Country. Its claims to have been established in 1189 AD. The main building is newer (probably only a few hundred years old), but the pub goes back into the rock behind it, which is probably older.

It has been about 30 years since I last went there. Good beer, good fun.

I adore the Mild at our local brewery. Haven't made one yet, but I have a feeling a British inspired brewing binge is coming someday. Problem is, then I'll want a beer engine...well, I already want one, the best IPA I ever had was off an engine. So much to learn and explore.

That's my recommendation too - not the 1,000 yr part. Though this one dates to the early 1600's, from a Cotswolds trip last year. Now I'm nostalgic for a bitter and mushy peas...

mount inn 2.jpg

mount inn.jpg

My go-to English beers (available in the states at least):

-Coniston Bluebird Bitter. Love that beer so very very much. Coniston's other beers are good too (including the XB Bluebird), but not as good as the regular Bluebird.
-Black Sheep Ale
-Adnams Broadside
-Adnams Southwold Bitter
-Old Speckled Hen
-Wychwood Hobgoblin
-Wychwood Scarecrow
-Shepherd Neame Spitfire
-Fullers London Porter. London Pride and their ESB are alright, but not good examples of their styles.
-Samuel Smith's (just about anything they make is fantastic, but the Old Brewery Pale Ale, Nut Brown, and Oatmeal Stout I think are particularly good)
-IF you can find it, Timothy Taylor Landlord
-Theakston XB isn't bad if you can find a fresh one, which seems to be a challenge.
-St. Peters Organic Pale Ale and Cream Stout are both tasty.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I've got off the top of my head.

A chocolate stout sounds good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Old Peculiar. It seems I recognize that name. I'll Google it. Thanks!

As a Brit I recommend you try Old Peculiar.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Second this one. Old Peculier is a fantastic brew (and Peculier is misspelled just so you're aware).

And Greene King IPA

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Is this available in the US? Heard of it obviously but never seen it.

Stock beer. Is this basically an old ale? Their site doesn't exactly say what it is. It does sound worthwhile though, and so I'll keep an eye out for it too. Specs does a good job stocking beers I've never heard of, though I still haven't seen Pliny or Blind Pig...

A chocolate stout sounds good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Old Peculiar. It seems I recognize that name. I'll Google it. Thanks!

It's the most chocolate flavoured stout I've ever tried...

Back