Bringing yeast to 50*F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I am using 3787 and the krausen has fallen and over the course of a week I slowly bumped the temperature up to 78*. The recipe now calls for 2 weeks at 50*. I have the carboys in a "swamp cooler", but is it bad to drop right away to 50*? If not I'll just start throwing in some frozen water bottles.

I posted this question in a different section but it's more suited for this yeast forum.

I would lower slowly. Maybe 5-6 degrees per day.

Roed Haus Brewery

I can't imagine what the purpose of that rest would be. At 50F, your trappist yeast are going to be asleep, but it's not cold enough to achieve lagering. If the beer is finished, I would just do it as a cold crash and drop it to 34ish for a few days and then bottle/keg.

This isn't the first time the recipe has been questioned on technique. Without talking to the original author and my limited knowledge, I too do not know why - just following what was published in BYO.

Back