Briess DME to Beiess Grain(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked before. If so I apologise. I'm looking for a chart hopefully to convert Briess DME's to Briess malt(s). I don't know if something like this exists, but it would come in handy.

For example if I pull the specs for Briess Pilsen Light DME it lists 99% Pilsen Malt and 1% CaraPils Malt.

IMG_20200424_232922.jpg

For the base malts, back in early October 2015, there was (past tense) an article "Introducing the first Briess single-malt extracts" at Briess's blog (as of today, a copy of the article is available in the internet archives).

For character/specialty malts, Download the NEW Extracts and Adjuncts Typical Analysis Flyer (2017) will be helpful.

Thanks for posting links.

For the The NEW Extracts and Adjuncts Typical Analysis Flyer (2017). In many of the rows, last column. I couldn't help but notice the term "Base Malt". Do you happen to know what malt is the base malt being refrenced? Is it Brewers malt or 2 row malt or 6 row malt or something else? Maybe it depends of the type of Briess DME?

Last edited:
I couldn't help but notice the term "Base Malt". Do you happen to know what malt is the base malt being refrenced? Is it Brewers malt or 2 row malt or 6 row malt or something else? Maybe it depends of the type of Briess DME?

I do not know. I've helped convert a couple of extract+steep recipes to BIAB - we got good results by using a basic "2 row" brewers malt.

I do not know. I've helped convert a couple of extract+steep recipes to BIAB - we got good results by using a basic "2 row" brewers malt.

Thanks for the reply... The "Base Malt" contained in some of the Briess DMEs is a Mystery Malt until it's specifically identifed.

I tried to ask the question on the linked Download the NEW Extracts and Adjuncts Typical Analysis Flyer (2017) page but it requires a Facebook account. I don't have a spacebook and never will, I don't like drama much.

I have a Traditional Bock recipe I've brewed several times with Briess DME. It makes a pretty good brew. But I converted to all-grain, my keg is needing a refill. I would like to brew it all-grain this time around.

The specific Briess DME I'm trying to decode is their Munich DME. Anyone care to guess what the Mystery 50% Base Malt is?
IMG_20200425_163349.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_163349.jpg
    IMG_20200425_163349.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have a Traditional Bock recipe I've brewed several times with Briess DME. It makes a pretty good brew. But I converted to all-grain, my keg is needing a refill. I would like to brew it all-grain this time around.

You could ...

... buy some DME and brew an enjoyable beer

... assume "Base Malt" is Briess Brewers Malt and brew an enjoyable beer

... assume "Base Malt" is Briess Pale Ale Malt and brew and enjoyable beer

You could ...

... buy some DME and brew an enjoyable beer

... assume "Base Malt" is Briess Brewers Malt and brew an enjoyable beer

... assume "Base Malt" is Briess Pale Ale Malt and brew and enjoyable beer

Or... Since it's a Bock, assume the Base Malt is Pilsen Malt and brew and enjoy :)

Why don't you email Briess?

Because I can't find an email address... I think they only cater to authorized distributors.

Here's the Traditional Bock brew made with Briess DME I'm trying to decode. Pretty ain't it? Tastes as good as it looks.
IMG_20200425_173818.jpg

The specific Briess DME I'm trying to decode is their Munich DME. Anyone care to guess what the Mystery 50% Base Malt is?

img_20200425_163349-jpg.677371

hmmm.... timestamps suggest you edited this in to an earlier version of #8 at about the same time as a posted #9. Or maybe I missed it. Either way ...

I'd go with Briess Brewers Malt (rather than Pale Ale) for the 1st batch.

hmmm.... timestamps suggest you edited this in to an earlier version of #8 at about the same time as a posted #9. Or maybe I missed it. Either way ...

I'd go with Briess Brewers Malt (rather than Pale Ale) for the 1st batch.

Thanks, yeah edit posts after I posted because of my phone's auto correct ain't so smart... I can't turn it off. I need a new phone, but...

Back