Bridgeport Trilogy clone suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
My friend and I want to try to clone this new beer that Bridgeport just released. Here is an article on it:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/11/bridge...cks-off-new-series-celebrating-30-years-1790/

The little info I got out of the article is this....munich malt with some rye, 40ibu, 5.1%abv, and citra dry hop.

Any hop schedule suggestions or yeast suggestions?

My friend tried the beer and loved it. He then convinced me to brew it even though I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably hunt some down tomorrow to give it a shot.

Hey did you try this? Any good result? Trilogy 1 is a great beer, but there isn't much info out there about cloning it. From what I found it sounded like the dry hopping used Crystal hops, not Citra.

My experience with the beer is that there is a lot a variation. The first 6-pack I purchased was great. The second 6-pack was lousy and I was very disappointed. I don't know how you could clone the beer when there is so much variation. frankly, I think Bridgeport has sunk a lot of money into advertising the beer and not producing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well just going off numbers in the linked article. For a 5 gallon batch 85% mash efficiency.
I get around
7 lbs 2 row
2 lbs Munich
.5 lbs flaked Rye
2oz crystal 60 min 3%AA That's what the app defaulted then to.
2oz crystal 30min
1oz crystal 10min
1oz crystal 5min
Came out to 5.1 ABV and 39IBU's
I'd probably start there then see how it compares with what I was looking for and adjust appropriately for future batches.

Sent from somewhere to someone

@Geohawk, I wonder if the bad batch was mishandled somewhere along the line - got hot, shaken, etc. I've had more than a couple of these and they've been uniformly good. My experience with Bridgeport beer (since the 80's) has been positive.

@GilSwill, thanks, I'll use your cut at this as a starting point -- their recipe uses dry-hopping, and I find that it starts with a distinct malty taste, have to think about that

Back