Brewtroller 4.0 basics - attaching temp sensor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I just bought a new (from an individual) Brewtroller 4.0 package. It came with the LCD, lcd module, lcd cables, and USB module... however, I do not see anything that a temp sensor would plug into.

On the Brewtroller v 3.0 - it shows that the temp sensors can be directly attached to the board.

Am I stuck here with no option for any sort of temp sensors? I am not finding much out as far as a search and would GREATLY appreciate help. I am keeping this stage of the build simple with a single heating element, and temp sensor.

http://www.oscsys.com/sites/default/files/BrewTroller 4.x User Manual.pdf

You will typically require a minimum of two expansion modules for basic functionality:
• USB Module – Provides communication to PC/Mac for firmware upgrades, logging and
external control software
• 1-Wire Module – Provides communication with 1-Wire devices such as the DS18B20
temperature sensors typically used with BrewTroller

They would plug in to one of the expansion module headers on the 4.x boards is my understanding.

I am in fear of this myself since I do NOT have an expansion module for the 1-pin connections. I was hoping that one of the other inputs, or the pins on the expansion headers themselves would easily work for mapping a length connection to a temp sensor. I have an email to the manufacturer, but they have not been responding to my last 2-emails as of yet so I am concerned about my purchase.

The expansion modules communicate over I2C or serial I believe so you can't just use the pins. It seems like a poor idea how they did this (I think they expected to be able to support lots of different types of temperature sensors, but quickly found most people stick with the 1-wire ones). It is my understanding you had to purchase these separately.

They ditched this design in the new models (DX1/BX1). I have had good success getting a hold of them via the Live Chat link on their website usually, they don't seem to monitor their forums too often. I haven't emailed them before but I wouldn't worry about it as they're good to deal with in my experience.

Not sure how technical you want to get. I'd bet the brewtroller guys will likely be able to get you one of the 1-Wire modules.

Otherwise it is opensource project, so I'm sure they'd send you the design. It's just a small board with a DS2482 (I2C to 1-Wire) chip that communicates with the brewtroller via I2C. On the new boards they've just placed this chip directly on the board.

WOW! 5-minutes on IRC and I have one ordered from them. Each person has their best communication medium.. thanks for the heads up AllanMar! We are getting closer to automation!

Back