Brewstand plan and Automated Plumbing Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_h

Reaction score
I posted this up in the Automated forum but didn't see much traffic and didn't get any responses. I'm still in the design phases so figured this may be better suited in the DIY section.

I currently have a 3 keggle HERMS single tier setup, no brewstand. I'm planning a new build out using my existing keggles and going from propane to electric, automated, and BCS controlled.

Here is a summary of what I am planning:

BCS 462 controlled, mostly automated w/ brewstand.
Bottom drain
False bottom in MLT & BK
7 x 2 way automated valves
3 x 3 way automated valves
3 x manual ball valve: wort out, BK Return, waste out
2 Pumps
Plate Chiller
Electric w/ 5500w elements in HLT & BK
MLT has blichmann autosparge

All lines below the keggles, valves (except BK return), pumps, & Plate chiller will be hard plumbed as one long manifold. The reasoning for this is it makes it easier to plumb w/ everything all in one place. I am also designing it with the intent of a CIP system using a sump pump that will also be used for a DIY keg/carboy cleaner.

The HERMS lines from keggle to 3 way ball valve, MLT return to 3 way ball valve and BK return to 2 way ball valve will have cam locks with silicone hoses, initially. Once all the kinks are worked out and I'm satisfied, i'll eventually hard plumb them as well. I also have a 4th keggle that is only used on double batch days and have not decided whether I want to add this to the stand, for now it will not be.

BCS462 is on order, new bottom drain false bottoms are shipped and some of the other misc electrical components have started to trickle in. I just need to finalize the plumbing layout to make the elec ball valve orders and find a nice SS stand and I'll start building.

Please let me know if you see any problems w/ the planned setup.

Plumbing.jpg

Planned brew process is as follows:

1.) Fill BK and heat to HERMS temp
2.) Fill HLT to Strike Temp
3.) MLT bottom fill using water in HLT, when done, refill HLT with water from BK.
4.) HERMS recirculation w/ ability to bypass coil and go directly back into MLT
5.) Fly Sparge

BK Fill.jpg

HLT Fill.jpg

Dough In.jpg

HERMS.jpg

Fly Sparge.jpg

6.) Hop Stand recirculation/ whirlpool
7.) Chill - chill water will be used to fill HLT for cleaning and then diverted out.

Hop Stand - Recirc.jpg

Chill.jpg

Back