BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be ideal if it could cycle ispindel temp displays from multiple Ispindels even if only controlling via ispindel / temp sensor for one brew. Lovely big display though.

I would rather keep BrewPiLess a simple temperature controller for one chamber/beer fermentation.

The porting is almost finished. It would take ages for me to build one working controller, so I might make a beta release some time later.

Due to memory limitation, BLE for TILT support is not enabled by default. I don't know if anyone uses TILT with BPL, but I am interested in KegLand RAPT Pill, which seems to support BLE broadcast like TILT. I'll see how it works when I get my Pill.

I would rather keep BrewPiLess a simple temperature controller for one chamber/beer fermentation.

The porting is almost finished. It would take ages for me to build one working controller, so I might make a beta release some time later.

Due to memory limitation, BLE for TILT support is not enabled by default. I don't know if anyone uses TILT with BPL, but I am interested in KegLand RAPT Pill, which seems to support BLE broadcast like TILT. I'll see how it works when I get my Pill.
Thank you, I think brewpiless is great controlling one fermenter, my query was could it display other Ispindel readouts that weren't related to temp control ie my beer fridges which have Ispindel running tempmon, as it's such a lovely big display.

But I look forward to this new porting.

BrewPiLess now supports Rapt Pill in Bluetooth mode.

Long story short, my iSpindel was broken because of beer going into it. I found Pill is cheaper than a iSpindel for someone like me. Rapt Pill can be setup to broadcast information over Bluetooth. A BrewPiLess running on ESP32 can get the information broadcasted. Pill also broadcasts tilt angle information, which makes it possible to run calibration on the fly like iSpindel.

Please consider it a beta version, so you might get the source from Github and build it by our own. I will build the binaries after verification, which would take a few weeks or months.

I am experiencing an issue with BrewPiLess and Beer Profiles when running in Fahrenheit mode (v4.3.1 running on ESP32-WROOM-32D).

After setting BrewPiLess to Fahrenheit mode (via SYSTEM --> ADVANCED), I create a Beer Profile on the CONTROL page and set a start date of "Now".
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 6.17.01 PM.png

If I then navigate to any of the other pages (GRAPH, LOGS, DEVICE, etc) and then return to the CONTROL page the Profile column heading indicates degrees "F" yet the temperature values as well as the Y-axis are reported in degrees "C".
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 6.17.18 PM.png

The only way to get the Profile to reflect Fahrenheit values again has been dozens of page-refreshes or randomly browsing the other tabs (GRAPH, LOGS, DEVICE, SYSTEM, GRAVITY, PRESSURE).

Is this a bug or have I done/not-done something?

Thanks for your time,

time2brew

You don't mention saving it, but I think you must have done that otherwise the profile wouldn't be there when you returned to the page.

You don't mention saving it, but I think you must have done that otherwise the profile wouldn't be there when you returned to the page.
Yep, the profile had been saved. This same issue exists in 4.3.
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 9.13.41 AM.png

In this example it took 18 page refreshes before it switched back to "F"
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 9.14.10 AM.png

Yep, the profile had been saved. This same issue exists in 4.3.
View attachment 841002
In this example it took 18 page refreshes before it switched back to "F"
View attachment 841003
Yes. There are issues about Fahrenheit setting.
I've done some modification. You might try compile the least code on GitHub, but please remember that this version is still under testing/verification.

I have tried several display screens and have not had a single one work for me. My latest effort is the 20x4 lcd and I can get it to power on but it does not show text. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I had a 0.96 one working for a brief moment, but now that won't even work. Help! I'm working with the PCB board from stefschin.

EDIT: I was able to get two other esp32s to display text, but neither are attached to the PCB. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I really need some help about port forwarding settings as I can't connect to my BPL, only locally.

So, these are my router settings, where I need advices and/or suggestions:

Brewpiless has fixed IP address, shown on picture below.

After I click on Application button I got this:

When I click on Port Mapping button here is what I have:

I also made an account on https://my.noip.com/ but don't know what exactly to do with it.

Than I am confused and don't know what to do any more. :(

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm not familiar with any Huawei products, but in general....

You have your no-ip URL, right? Using your name here as an example...something like: noip.com/t1m1 or maybe t1m1.ddns.net
And noip is set up correctly to point to your public IP?
A way to test this is ping whatever your noip URL is and see if you get a reply.
Go to a website like this - https://tools.keycdn.com/ping and enter your noip URL and see if you get a ping response. Like this:

1711830062037.png

Since you're just getting this set up now, I'll assume you have no other ports or usage on your LAN exposed to the Internet.

The next step is to set up port forwarding on your router. You'll need to have anything coming in from the Internet to be forwarded to your BrewPiLess IP address on port 80. It should just work. Be aware, you're opening up a port that people will see and might try hacking. Hopefully your ISP doesn't block inbound port 80.

Make sure you have a secure password set up on your BrewPiLess to reduce the chance of being hacked.
And honestly, I wouldn't set this up without using a VPN.

You may know all of the above already, and I'm sorry if it doesn't help. But with your questions, it seems like it might.

Attachments

• 1711829703284.png
    1711829703284.png
    54 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It works now, thank you. Trouble was my no-ip router settings...

It's me again, I want to ask how to properly calibrate temperature sensor?

I've tried to check sensor values with brand new thermapen and values should be 0.3 degrees less than it shows. How to change it?

Back