Brewpastor's Coldroom Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can always go with green board (as in sheet rock not brew board)!

Greenboard isn't that much better than regular drywall, from all that I could tell when researching for my kitchen. I used it by my sink just to handle a little bit of extra humidity (straining pasta, for example), but really, if it's an application where moisture is an issue you use cement board (which unfortunately isn't what you're going to want as a finished surface).

If you do use the plastic, I'd think about putting it on top of a cement board base, since it's completely immune to water damage. Belt and suspenders, I'd personally hang 1/4" cement board and then glue the plastic (Liquid Nails) onto that.

Greenboard isn't that much better than regular drywall, from all that I could tell when researching for my kitchen. I used it by my sink just to handle a little bit of extra humidity (straining pasta, for example), but really, if it's an application where moisture is an issue you use cement board (which unfortunately isn't what you're going to want as a finished surface).

Ditto that. Greenboard is useless, IMO. I'd go with the HDPE sheets recommended a couple pages back. Caulk the joints and you've got a hoseable room.

vapor barriers go on the out side of the house too even rooms that arnt insulated
66tyvek.jpg

vapor_barrier_replace.gif

vapor barriers go on the out side of the house too even rooms that arnt insulated

Tyvek, etc, are moisture barriers, not vapor barriers I believe. Vapor barriers allow no water to pass, in liquid or vapor form. Moisture barriers keep liquid water out while allowing water vapor to exit the wall. :mug:

of course I have been wrong before! ;)

I can get 7/16" OSB for $6.97 a sheet, which equals only $55.76 to cover the walls and ceiling. That certainly beats $32.47 a sheet for FRP bathroom board. I am thinking going with the OSB with a layer of foam board under - a couple heavy coated of durable, washable paint and calling it good. It is just a cold room interior - why spend more then is needed? I brew in a garage after all.

How much would it be to epoxy paint the OSB? That would give a surface that could withstand quite a bit of water.

What a read from start to finish. Were else, but this board, can you always find the answers to questions. I would go with the wood and paint. With the paints available now you can make it near water proof. How much water will it face anyways? Awesome build! With no room for a keezer all those taps make me really hate my bottles!!!

You could use the epoxy garage floor paint and do the whole place up with it.

Epoxy will seal and hold the water out... I used it on my plywood boat and it worked fine.

Sherwin Williams sells epoxies, not floor epoxy, used on steel, concrete and drywall. I have painted loads with their epoxy that was put in highly corrosive and fully submerged application, ie., **** plants. It will make it completely water proof. Just make sure you use an appropriate primer if you do go that route. Its also easy to wash down.

Got the ac unit in today! Wife bought me a Coolbot - issue settled!

Hey Brewpastor.... It's been a while now since you've put this in. Very cool by the way. Just wondering if you'd go the coolbot route again if you did it all over again...

Right now, i'm working on a fridge but bigger is better some day.. heh... and i like simple.

Thanks man....

I don't have any pictures, but the unit is working strong. It is really nice to have all that room. We store the milk and stuff like that in there as well. The coolbot is a great unit and I am glad to have it. It is effortless and so far worry free.

While your here, any condensation issues? What would change if you could? A cold room is in my future, and I want to do it right the first time.

You can't apply resedential vapor barrier requirements to a cold room application, they're different animals. For cold rooms you always put the vapor barrier on the warm(outside) surface. This keeps the moisture from being pulled through the wall and insulation where it will condense on the cold surface (inside your wall/panel) and rot/mold the wall.

Like this.

CoolerWallSection.jpg

Latest posts

Back