Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks CaptnDelta. Is this to work with the controlling unit BrewPi? The install references brewpi-tools to be up to date, and the only brewpi-tools I can find are from this other GitHub repo, of a product called BrewPi.

Will it work on it's own, without the BrewPi appliance?

You have to build and install the brewpi first, and get it to work. Afterwards, you follow the instructions to install the tilt stuff on top of that.

-Th

You have to build and install the brewpi first, and get it to work. Afterwards, you follow the instructions to install the tilt stuff on top of that.

-Th

Got you. Thanks again. I will base myself on those python scripts and instructions to have a standalone solution, not relying on the brew hardware that I don't need.

Cheers,

Hello! Late to this thread, and sorry if this info was posted earlier, but I got a Tilt Monday and have successfully set up my PI as a monitoring device and posting to the Brewometer Google Sheet. Next I'll be setting up EmDubeu's sheet, and then dedicated display as soon as the parts come in.This weekend I'll be brewing up a batch of something, dunno what just yet, and using the Tilt live.

anyone having a problem connecting to the Tilt today? Getting "error" when connecting my iPad to the Google sheet. Communicating with the Tilt though.

@EmDubeu

Just wanted to say thanks again.... I made a few changes to the sheet and thought you might be interested in at least the BJCP description part.

So I added a BJCP 2015 sheet and did some Match functions to look up Aroma, Appearance, flavor, Mouthfeel and impression of whatever style of beer picked in the report. Also switch to your hidden report and switch beer style again to BJCP and used Match to find the beer category.

One question though- struggling to find a way to convert the 24hr date and clock to 12 hour with still keeping the date stamp. Any idea?

https://goo.gl/JCF1pl

Thank you again for all the effort,
Dan

My Brewometer / Tilt now goes through batteries in 24 hours or less... As much as I love it - this is getting old. I'm going to reach out to them (wish me luck!).

Update: The gents from Tilt/Brewometer are sending me a new model. They only ask that I return the old. GREAT support and service!

Last edited:
Excellent! I had contacted them a while back when I was trying to figure out some coding stuff, and I received an answer the next day.

In case anyone sees the old post about it, I would not recommend using a Fire Tablet 7" (Previous Generation - 5th) with the Tilt. I bought one hoping it would be great little guy to monitor and update my Google spreadsheet but it constantly disconnects and quits communicating with the Tilt.

Just put my Tilt in for the first time and had quick question, does my iPad need to be on the entire time to log data, or just the app running with the screen off? I'm using EmDubeu's spreadsheet.

Just put my Tilt in for the first time and had quick question, does my iPad need to be on the entire time to log data, or just the app running with the screen off? I'm using EmDubeu's spreadsheet.

On the whole time, the Tilt won't log if the device is inactive. I've used an old iPhone that I kept plugged in and set to never lock automatically. I was using the basic google sheet, but it should be the same as far as logging.

I have to say that these guys are top notch when it comes to service.

If you're looking at buying I wouldn't hesitate. It's a great little device!

As long as the *app* is running, then it will push data to the google sheet.

If it runs while the screen is off, then yes.

I don't know enough about the power settings of an iPad to say how it behaves after the screens shuts off though.

Nothing has shown up on the log or report sheet yet. How many entries have to be on Sheet1 before those will populate something?

I'm using EmDubeu's and I've got data populating from my Tilt to Shee1, but none of the other sheets show any data, so none of the graphs on the Dashboard work.

Did you check the root directory of the img? I haven't messed with it yet but according to the blog - "locate the file "SETUP.html" on the SD card named "boot". This file will guide you through creating the configuration files to copy over your SD card to get your Tilt Pi going."

Also, does it actually start up, or do you get a blank screen from the get go? If you literally get nothing, the image or the card may be corrupt. Maybe try writing it again and if it doesn't work, try a known good NOOBS image to eliminate the card as the issue.

I'll mess with it tomorrow if I can get a spare sd card. :)

Did you check the root directory of the img? I haven't messed with it yet but according to the blog - "locate the file "SETUP.html" on the SD card named "boot". This file will guide you through creating the configuration files to copy over your SD card to get your Tilt Pi going."

Also, does it actually start up, or do you get a blank screen from the get go? If you literally get nothing, the image or the card may be corrupt. Maybe try writing it again and if it doesn't work, try a known good NOOBS image to eliminate the card as the issue.

Turns out it was working just fine :D

The instructions neglected to mention that you have to have a working Tilt nearby to complete the setup.

I found this out when I emailed Tilt:
Jim,
The Tilts have to be on (laying down on their side) and within range of the Tilt Pi (Raspberry Pi) in order for the email to be sent. Sorry for the confusion. We'll add this to the instructions. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Thanks for your support!
Cheers,
Marcus

it looks like the Tilt Hydrometer when they started out. I have one and it works great. It reads the Gravity and temp every 15 minutes and you can see the results on Google sheets. Great for lagers to figure out when to do the dactyl rest, or to look at when the beer is finished without taking off the lid. Look it up you will love it.

it looks like the Tilt Hydrometer when they started out. I have one and it works great. It reads the Gravity and temp every 15 minutes and you can see the results on Google sheets. Great for lagers to figure out when to do the dactyl rest, or to look at when the beer is finished without taking off the lid. Look it up you will love it.

Tilt hydrometer and Brewometer are the same thing. Name was changed to Tilt due to trademark issues with Brewometer. (I apologize if I misunderstood the point you were making in your post.)

Brew on :mug:

FYI if you have a Rpi2 (and probably an original one as well), this image works with external bluetooth and wifi adapters. Odd issue I found though is that you have to have the wifi adapter in the usb for it to configure properly on boot up (its looking for wlan0), even if you are using the local ethernet adapter (eth0). Once its booted up and talking to the tilt, I found that I can remove the wifi adapter and it runs just fine plugged into ethernet. Going through the configuration now to see if I can modify it. I am also successfully pushing data to brewstat, so this is a very cool addition to my setup.

Cheers,
Joe

I'm trying to set this up on an existing Pi setup with Raspberry Pints, so imaging a new SD card does me no good. Any success with looking into the code?

I'm trying to set this up on an existing Pi setup with Raspberry Pints, so imaging a new SD card does me no good. Any success with looking into the code?

Ah, no, it's a standalone. There was a mention on FB about looking into running the app on an existing PI in the future. And then later they posted this, about using Node-Red for running the app. I've never used Node-Red or have had a chance to work through the instructions.

Tilt Hydrometer It is possible, but untested (not sure how it will work out yet). We would recommend backing up the Brew Pi card first.
We plan to provide installation instructions but below is a first draft:
Starting from the latest RPi image:
Install node-RED for RPi per the instructions here: https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi
Install the following nodes for node-RED
https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-bleacon
https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-dashboard
Copy/Paste Tilt Pi "flow" into node-RED editor
https://flows.nodered.org/flow/0cc3b1d4f7e159800c01c650c30752ae...

Best of all, it works with the tiny $10 Pi Zero W, so I've freed up my Pi 3 for more demanding projects. :)

Right on. That's exactly what I was looking at doing, thanks for confirming. Great IoT application. I much prefer having a Pi Zero dedicated than leaving an iPad nearby during the whole process.

Cheers!

Ah, no, it's a standalone. There was a mention on FB about looking into running the app on an existing PI in the future. And then later they posted this, about using Node-Red for running the app. I've never used Node-Red or have had a chance to work through the instructions.

Tilt Hydrometer It is possible, but untested (not sure how it will work out yet). We would recommend backing up the Brew Pi card first.
We plan to provide installation instructions but below is a first draft:
Starting from the latest RPi image:
Install node-RED for RPi per the instructions here: https://nodered.org/docs/hardware/raspberrypi
Install the following nodes for node-RED
https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-bleacon
https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-dashboard
Copy/Paste Tilt Pi "flow" into node-RED editor
https://flows.nodered.org/flow/0cc3b1d4f7e159800c01c650c30752ae...

Yup. And if you read just below that you'll find my response. Failed. Miserably. The installation for the nodes reported massive errors.

I'll have to try putting RPints with TiltPi... I would think it would be easier to use the TiltPi image and install Pints on top of it... could be wrong though. In case anyone didn't see it, they posted the username and password they used for the TiltPi image on FB. The username is pi and the password is tilt

Cheers,
Joe

I'll have to try putting RPints with TiltPi... I would think it would be easier to use the TiltPi image and install Pints on top of it... could be wrong though. In case anyone didn't see it, they posted the username and password they used for the TiltPi image on FB. The username is pi and the password is tilt

Cheers,
Joe

I already flashed my drive and started on this project. I'm still learning Linux based OSes, so this hasn't been super easy, but I have been listing detailed notes for others to follow should it work.

Man, I am really digging the Tilt. I was pretty surprised to see how quickly most of my beers actually reach FG (I always check the Tilt against a hydro when the numbers from the Tilt are stable for several days.). I've been able to get some of my beers in a keg <10 days whereas I used to wait the "typical" 2 weeks before I did anything (didn't like to check hydro reading very often).

I brewed a lower OG stout this past Saturday and it's already close to FG so in another day or two I think I'm going to transfer from my fermonster into a conditioning keg and throw another batch or beer in the fermenter!

Back