Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you run the setup script like the instructions say in the original cloud sheet script? Looks like the error eludes to a missing sheet id, which gets placed in the sheet user properties when the Setup script gets ran.

If you didn't run the "setup" script, you'll need to get into the script editor from your copy of the spreadsheet. (Tools Menu > Script Editor). Once there, click on the Code.gs script, then click Run menu and select setup. You may need to re-publish.

Once published, you'll need to add your sheet id, found in the url of your opened spreadsheet, and apply the id to every reference in TempAlert.gs, sgAlert.gs, and statusAlert.gs. Look for references in each script "YOUR SHEET ID HERE". Add your id in-between the single quotes.

Pm me and I'll help you get it going.

Thanks EmDubeu!

Not sure how I missed that. Looks like everything is working right now.

Updated my shared tilt/Brewometer cloud sheet with the following:

1. Altered Alert display to show whether or not alerts are on or off from the Main Published Sheet. Orange font means the alert setting is turned On. Grey font means alert setting is turned off.
2. Updated TempAlert, sgAlert, and StatusAlert scripts to read in the sheet id from script properties rather than need the user manually entering the ID in the script. Removed old functionality specified in v3.16.
3. Added a link to the Main Published sheet in the alert emails for easy reference to shared sheet when you get an alert.
4. Fixed an issue with tempAlert.gs not sending emails when some conditions were met. Issue introduced in v3.19.
5. Updated Recipe sheet to read BeerXML recipe data. Refer to Sheet Note; XML Conversion and Import, for further information.

Version 3.21 can be accessed here.

This is great EmDubeu, I am having a lot of fun with it. Just using my Tilt hydrometers for the first time, I have 2.

This gives me 2 questions, firstly can I use the same sheet to make 2 Main Published Sheet pages, one for each color? I want to send each one to a webpage I can keep track of.

My other question is about the Recipe Tab, can the details be imported from something like Beersmith or are they manually added.

Thanks for the great work

Finally got the Beersmith beerXML file to import. Check out the latest copy of the cloud sheet, if you like. v3.21

Great work EmDubeu!

My 2 special requests would be adding a ABV Sparkline in Report!B30 and adding the ability to report several Tilt Hydrometers simultaneously ;-)

Updated my shared tilt/Brewometer cloud sheet with the following:

1. Altered Alert display to show whether or not alerts are on or off from the Main Published Sheet. Orange font means the alert setting is turned On. Grey font means alert setting is turned off.
2. Updated TempAlert, sgAlert, and StatusAlert scripts to read in the sheet id from script properties rather than need the user manually entering the ID in the script. Removed old functionality specified in v3.16.
3. Added a link to the Main Published sheet in the alert emails for easy reference to shared sheet when you get an alert.
4. Fixed an issue with tempAlert.gs not sending emails when some conditions were met. Issue introduced in v3.19.
5. Updated Recipe sheet to read BeerXML recipe data. Refer to Sheet Note; XML Conversion and Import, for further information.

Version 3.21 can be accessed here.

Just want to say thank you for the spreadsheet. It works flawlessly. If you have a Tilt/Brewometer then this is a vast improvement on the standard spreadsheet that comes with the device.

Just want to say thank you for the spreadsheet. It works flawlessly. If you have a Tilt/Brewometer then this is a vast improvement on the standard spreadsheet that comes with the device.

Thank you. I've enjoyed working on it. Personally, I love how I got google sheets to automatically send emails when certain criteria is met. Totally blown away that it can do this.

Btw, I just added abv% trend data to the Log and Report sheets. I think I'm going to rework the Report sheet a bit, and I need to clean up the script code a bit. I've see that it's not super efficient, and uses too much computer time to process. Once this is done, I'll be pushing out another updated sheet.

:mug:

This is an awesome spreadsheet, EmDubeu! I'll try it out.

So is the idea here that you keep logs for all brews in this file together, or reset it for new brews? Is there a reset or 'clear data' button?

Thank you. I've enjoyed working on it. Personally, I love how I got google sheets to automatically send emails when certain criteria is met. Totally blown away that it can do this.

Btw, I just added abv% trend data to the Log and Report sheets. I think I'm going to rework the Report sheet a bit, and I need to clean up the script code a bit. I've see that it's not super efficient, and uses too much computer time to process. Once this is done, I'll be pushing out another updated sheet.

:mug:

I see you got the beersmith import working but I was looking at your recipe and it seems like your hops schedule might be messed up. For your boil they all say 0.

I see you got the beersmith import working but I was looking at your recipe and it seems like your hops schedule might be messed up. For your boil they all say 0.

0 minute hop additions are basically flame-out/whirlpool hops. They are noted in beersmith as 0 min hops.

0 minute hop additions are basically flame-out/whirlpool hops. They are noted in beersmith as 0 min hops.

Gotcha. Ya I whirlpool all the time. I just figured it would have said "steep/whirlpool". Either way, I like the recipe.

Gotcha. Ya I whirlpool all the time. I just figured it would have said "steep/whirlpool". Either way, I like the recipe.

The xml file produced from Beersmith unfortunately do not contain Steep/Whirlpool descriptions. Currently, they are tagged as "Aroma". Also, when using Dry Hops, the xml file shows the DISPLAY_TIME as minutes, not days. I've reported this to beersmith.com, but I haven't heard back yet. I just manually go into the xml file and manually make the corrections.

Updated my cloud sheet. There were so many little changes here and there that I published a new shared file (Fermenator Cloud v3). You can copy it from here. The older v2 is still shared.

I added the following:
v3.3
1. Updated Report sheet with more organized display of data. Updated scripts to reflect the various cell location changes in the Report sheet.
2. Added ABV content to Report and a new ABV sparkline.@geoff400
3. Renamed 'Main Published Sheet' to 'Dashboard'

This is awesome, I really appreciate all the work you're doing. As a noob I would love to see a step by step instruction sheet to get up and running as I was a little overwhelmed at first glance.

With all the posts related to EmDubeu's new and improved Google sheets I hate to change the subject, but I wanted to say a word about the awesome customer service from the guys at Tilt. Back in February I pulled the trigger and bought the Tilt. Things were too busy to brew when I bought it, but I calibrated and tested my model, and found it would only connect intermittently. I thought maybe the battery was old, in fact posted some questions to this thread about it, so I replaced the battery. Once again, it would not connect consistently, but did some. This is where I should have contacted the guys at Tilt, but things were busy and I stored it for use later. Fast forward to last Friday, I brewed up a Bohemian Pilsner and dropped in my Tilt, which I found would no longer would connect.

I emailed the issue and some questions to the guys at Tilt, and within an hour received an email from Marcus apologizing for the issues, said they were giving me grace on the 30 day return policy, and had sent a replacement Tilt with a return envelope for the old Tilt! Not only that, after sending a note Saturday morning I got my Tilt on Monday. My Pilsner still had a good krausen last night, so after calibrating and sanitizing I dropped in the new Tilt, fished out the old one to return, and I'm in business!

If there is anyone out there considering a purchase of the Tilt, these guys really care about their product and customer service. I can say with confidence from my experience that in the off chance you have a problem, they will fix it and make it right. Kudos to the Tilt Hydrometer team!

@EmDubeu Your new sheets looks awesome! Thanks again for all the work you have put into this and sharing it out to everyone!

Question about clearing the data. I can remove all the data for Sheet1 without issue. However, on the Report sheet, the pinkish cells in the Heartbeat column don't clear. Any way to clear that color out of those cells when starting a new brew?

I completely agree with your assessment of the Tilt team, @EDG715. They are super responsive and they have a great product. In my opinion, they have one of the greatest technological advancements that the home brewing community has seen in a long time, if ever. The Tilt isn't required to make great beer, although it makes monitoring your brew so much easier, and it's fun, too! If for some odd, unexpected reason my Tilt dies, I will most certainly be buying another one. I recommend this device to everyone I interact with who makes beer.

@EmDubeu Your new sheets looks awesome! Thanks again for all the work you have put into this and sharing it out to everyone!

Question about clearing the data. I can remove all the data for Sheet1 without issue. However, on the Report sheet, the pinkish cells in the Heartbeat column don't clear. Any way to clear that color out of those cells when starting a new brew?

Nice catch. I'll look at that today! Those colored cells indicate that there was an extended period of no data reported from the Tilt (more than 15 minutes).

@EmDubeu I was just thinking. You should cut a licensing deal with Tilt for your spreadsheet. Make a few bucks. :D

If I want to keep all my old fermentation data do I just copy the Report data over to the new version then republish and set the new URL in the Tilt/Brewometer?

Yes, I believe that's it. To clarify, you need to copy the data in the Sheet1 tab over to the new sheet. Don't copy the data in the Report sheet. And yes to the republish and set the new URL in the Tilt/Brewometer... Happy fermenting!

Updated V3 with a menu driven option to clear brew data from Sheet1. From the menu bar on the spreadsheet, you'll now see a "Reset" menu item. In that menu contains one option, "reset Recorded Brew Data". Clicking this will clear out the data in Sheet1.

If it doesn't show up on your v3 sheet, you'll need to go into the script editor and run createClearMenu from the createClearMenu.gs script.

Can a $40 Kindle Fire be used as a go-between for the Tilt? The Kindle doesn't have access to Google Play, so where would you get the app, if the Fire can be used.

Thanks

Can a $40 Kindle Fire be used as a go-between for the Tilt? The Kindle doesn't have access to Google Play, so where would you get the app, if the Fire can be used.

Thanks

You should be able to side load the app and manually install it. Unless they have really locked down the Kindle Fire these days...

You can side-load a Kindle Fire with many if not most Android apps.
All you need is the apk file and a way to get it on the Fire.

I use ES File Manager for such things and pull from my lan members.
Worst-case I install a new app on one of my 'Droid phones or tablets, use ES to create a backup apk of the app, push that apk up to my lan and then pull it from there to the Fire...

Cheers!

There was some chatter some ways back about Kindles losing the connection to the Tilt or to the logging spreadsheet every night as they push an update or something. Sorry, I don't have one myself to verify, but YMMV with a Kindle.

There was some chatter some ways back about Kindles losing the connection to the Tilt or to the logging spreadsheet every night as they push an update or something. Sorry, I don't have one myself to verify, but YMMV with a Kindle.

Yep. That was my post. I tried using a Kindle but apparently Amazon pushes updates every night and the Kindle looses connection with the Tilt. I think you might be able to disable the Kindle from 'Whisper Sync" but I just bought a cheap used Samsung phone and it works great. Cost me $25 on Ebay.

The beer has been done for weeks and I had the tilt for a few days just checking via my phone the SG was very stable. I only started recording via the spreadsheet and the tablet when I added​ the 4oz for dry hopping, I just checked right now and the tilt unit is bumping against the bag.

Updated V3 with a menu driven option to clear brew data from Sheet1. From the menu bar on the spreadsheet, you'll now see a "Reset" menu item. In that menu contains one option, "reset Recorded Brew Data". Clicking this will clear out the data in Sheet1.

If it doesn't show up on your v3 sheet, you'll need to go into the script editor and run createClearMenu from the createClearMenu.gs script.

Just wanna say thanks @EmDubeu- made a couple of changes to your spreadsheet to fit my needs:

1. a link to your shared spreadsheet.
2. Added IBU's from the report page.
3. Added Dry Hopping as a Brew Phase.
4. Added my logo and a few tweaks to fonts and such.

My published dashboard page

Thanks again for all you hard work,
Dan

Possible bug?
I must be doing something wrong here. I open my saved copy of your newest file and the "Reset" button is not on Sheet1. I run the createClearmenu.gs script and the "Reset" button appears in the menu bar of Sheet1. When I exit GoogleSheets and then open the file again, the Reset button is no longer there. I have to rerun the Script again for the button to appear. To be specific, I run the script, publish the spreadsheet and then Save the file. From the Sheet Notes I don't think this should be happening. I'll be the first to admit it may be operator error.

Possible bug?
I must be doing something wrong here. I open my saved copy of your newest file and the "Reset" button is not on Sheet1. I run the createClearmenu.gs script and the "Reset" button appears in the menu bar of Sheet1. When I exit GoogleSheets and then open the file again, the Reset button is no longer there. I have to rerun the Script again for the button to appear. To be specific, I run the script, publish the spreadsheet and then Save the file. From the Sheet Notes I don't think this should be happening. I'll be the first to admit it may be operator error.

This is fixed now in v3.

I also added the following:

v3.4.1
1. Added "Phase" to dashboard.
2. Added IBUs to dashboard. This data comes from the xml (Recipe sheet).

Back