Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im glad this tread took off again and really glad these guys were able to go to production despite the kickstarter. If this works with stainless Ill grab a few

I've long looked at the BrewBug, but balked at the $200 price and the fact it needs to be fitted in the airlock since I use SS BrewTech Brew Buckets. After seeing the Brewometer I said what the hell and pulled the trigger - I like this design much better. I also appreciate that they're color coded so you can use multiple ones at a time. I put my order in on the 5th and am hoping to have one before brewing my next batch in May.

Between not having to worry about broken hydrometers and how much loss my samples incur (~8 oz per sample), this looks like awesome. The only downside is with SS fermenters you're looking at a 3-5' range for the wireless.

I poked around on Amazon looking for a Bluetooth repeater/extender, but couldn't find anything for this purpose. Does anyone have ideas on how to boost the signal?

(snip)

Between not having to worry about broken hydrometers and how much loss my samples incur (~8 oz per sample), this looks like awesome. The only downside is with SS fermenters you're looking at a 3-5' range for the wireless.

I poked around on Amazon looking for a Bluetooth repeater/extender, but couldn't find anything for this purpose. Does anyone have ideas on how to boost the signal?

You mean something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=Bluetooth+extender+

Edit: I think this is likely the best bet... not what it was DESIGNED for, but I think it might work... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00713RSE0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The geek in me is very interested in this, especially since it is half the cost of the beer bug. I was just looking through their site and I am a little concerned with the setup process.

http://brewometer.net/blogs/news

You have to setup a script within your Google account which I am fine with. My concern comes with this portion:

Select the parameters below to allow anonymous posting to your Google Sheet. In the 'Execute the app as:' drop down menu select 'Me' (this will be your personal gmail account). Under the 'Who has access to the app:' select 'Anyone, even anonymous' Click 'Deploy'.
(Your Brewometer app does not require a username and password to post data.)

I'm just concerned the app runs under my account (executes), yet anyone has access to it. With all the cyber security issues, I see this as a potential way for someone to maliciously being able to manipulate this in a negative way. Call me paranoid, but I cannot help but think this could be an issue. When I say in a negative way, I do not mean they will ruin your beer, but rather gain, expose or exploit your info with Google.

What I would like to see is a way that you can make some changes or configure the device so that you can make this more secure, instead of leaving the access to the app/script to anyone. Especially "anonymous"...

The Google instructions are only if you want to chart, as far as I can tell. The app does not require that set up. They should ultimately build charts into the app, but one step at a time I would imagine.

Got a shipment notice that mine should arrive tomorrow. Will report back!

What if, in the meantime, you created an EXTRA google account specifically for this? No worries about who sees only your fermentation charts.

The geek in me is very interested in this, especially since it is half the cost of the beer bug. I was just looking through their site and I am a little concerned with the setup process.

http://brewometer.net/blogs/news

You have to setup a script within your Google account which I am fine with. My concern comes with this portion:

Select the parameters below to allow anonymous posting to your Google Sheet. In the 'Execute the app as:' drop down menu select 'Me' (this will be your personal gmail account). Under the 'Who has access to the app:' select 'Anyone, even anonymous' Click 'Deploy'.
(Your Brewometer app does not require a username and password to post data.)

I'm just concerned the app runs under my account (executes), yet anyone has access to it. With all the cyber security issues, I see this as a potential way for someone to maliciously being able to manipulate this in a negative way. Call me paranoid, but I cannot help but think this could be an issue. When I say in a negative way, I do not mean they will ruin your beer, but rather gain, expose or exploit your info with Google.

What I would like to see is a way that you can make some changes or configure the device so that you can make this more secure, instead of leaving the access to the app/script to anyone. Especially "anonymous"...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like you're setting the permission solely for this Google Sheet (and not your entire Google Drive account). If that's the case, i don't really see what the issue is. Some hacker is going to steal your SG readings?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like you're setting the permission solely for this Google Sheet (and not your entire Google Drive account). If that's the case, i don't really see what the issue is. Some hacker is going to steal your SG readings?

Or put a malicious script in the spreadsheet?

I just ordered one. Very interested in seeing if they go open source or release an API for development. I'd really like to integrate it into my BCS/pi setup.

I just ordered one. Very interested in seeing if they go open source or release an API for development. I'd really like to integrate it into my BCS/pi setup.

I am very curious about these options as well, especially around StrangeBrew. It would be great if we could use the input from this to drive temperature profiles and trigger alarms in a brewery controller!

I'm interested in this as well because I've recently switched to fermenting 1-1.5 gallon batches in mini kegs. If it works, it'd be better for temp and gravity readings without exposing it to oxygen or wasting any of those precious few drops. I'm curious what the materials are, though. I can't seem to find it listed on their site.

The beauty of this gadget is that if fills a void that some of us nerds 'need'. :) I plan to order one. I'm somewhat savvy using google and I have an old andorid phone laying around. I plan to build a dashboard with charts, graphs, dials and publish the sheet as a web page. Its super simple to do, but I love the fact that I can monitor temperatures and gravity in close to real-time. I want to be notified when temps rise above x when fermenting a pilsner. I want to know the minute fermentation stops so that I can keg. I may even throw this thing in the hot tub to be a nerd about those temperatures. lol..

I have asked the guys on the brewometer page for a sample of data collected over time so that i can play around with some ideas using the data.

If anyone has one and is using it, please share your experience.

My only real concern is the useful life of $120. I'd like to be using the same device in 5 years or better, I don't want $120 be be disposable..

good gadget and I 'need' one! :mug:

I have a question that just dawned on me. It looks like to change the battery you have to open the case. When you open the case the air pressure inside will change. As a result of that will it's calibration also change? Or is it such a minor difference that it won't matter?

And one more question that I don't think was necessarily answered on the website, or at least I didn't see it. Is the Gravity automatically updated according to the temperature?

I have a question that just dawned on me. It looks like to change the battery you have to open the case. When you open the case the air pressure inside will change. As a result of that will it's calibration also change? Or is it such a minor difference that it won't matter?

And one more question that I don't think was necessarily answered on the website, or at least I didn't see it. Is the Gravity automatically updated according to the temperature?

Good question on changing the battery... I will ask... let everyone know..

Well, look what arrived!! Surprisingly early, so I suppose I will post the un-boxing pics. The packaging:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231400.160704.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231417.292644.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231430.876035.jpg

The inside flap opened:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231453.328932.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231466.064714.jpg

And some pics of the device:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231752.997919.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231763.881647.jpg

I turned on Bluetooth and it didn't find it. Then, just as it says right in the iOS app... Make sure Bluetooth and location services are turned on. My location services is on but was set to 'Never' for the Bremometer app. I turned it on and off we went! I put it in a pitcher of RO water... Let it settle for a few minutes... And what did it say??
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231908.961014.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460231796.986069.jpg

The temp and SG are SPOT ON!! We have a WINNER at first glance!

I placed my order this morning (Saturday) and received shipping confirmation Saturday afternoon. Website says three week wait but they are obviously way faster than that.

Shutup and take my money! Lol

well, look what arrived!! Surprisingly early, so i suppose i will post the in boxing pics. The packaging:
View attachment 349673
View attachment 349674
View attachment 349676

the inside flap opened:
View attachment 349677
View attachment 349678

and some pics of the device:
View attachment 349685
View attachment 349686

i turned on bluetooth and it didn't find it. Then, just as it says right in the ios app... Make sure bluetooth and location services are turned on. My location services is on but was set to 'never' for the bremometer app. I turned it on and off we went! I put it in a pitcher of ro water... Let it settle for a few minutes... And what did it say??
View attachment 349689
View attachment 349688

the temp and sg are spot on!! We have a winner at first glance!

I will be curious how the signal escapes an upright freezer fermentation chamber through a plastic fermenter.

Anyway, the idea of seeing when the SG stops decreasing is pretty exciting. I normally leave my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, which i keep hearing is too long. I have a feeling this will sell well as long as it works as promised.

Did you move your water pitcher into your ferm fridge yet?

I'm looking at going through the lid of a chest freezer to a shelf a few feet away.

I am going to do a brew on Friday... Will report its performance through that fermentation.

One question for the manufacturer is re:cleaning. Can it be soaked in PBW? PBW will craze polycarbonate, so we need to know if the brewometer's case will suffer likewise or can withstand the oxidant.

Yeah that seam looks like a great place for bugs to hide out.

Yeah... This is gonna have to happen soon.

Question to those who are using it currently... I know the site said to have a dedicated device near the fermentor. Can you just sync it to your phone, and say, after coming home from work, set your phone near the fermentor and get an up to date reading?

Regarding cleaning, I had assumed a thorough rinse with good hot water when you're done (maybe a soak) and then let it soak in the StarSan when I'm sanitizing my fermenter on brew day.

How are folks that already have theirs going about cleaning/sanitizing before use?

Yeah... This is gonna have to happen soon.

Question to those who are using it currently... I know the site said to have a dedicated device near the fermentor. Can you just sync it to your phone, and say, after coming home from work, set your phone near the fermentor and get an up to date reading?

The dedicated device is if you want to upload data. If you just want to swing by and take a reading, it works.

Regarding cleaning, I had assumed a thorough rinse with good hot water when you're done (maybe a soak) and then let it soak in the StarSan when I'm sanitizing my fermenter on brew day.

How are folks that already have theirs going about cleaning/sanitizing before use?

I received an email from Brewometer regarding cleaning

Regarding cleaning. Be careful not to use any abrasives, as it can scratch. The housing is polycarbonate; the safest is warm water and dish soap. PBW claims to be safe on polycarbonate, but wouldn't recommend soaking long term. Polycarbonate and the o-rings are safe with StarSan, which is our recommended sanitizer.

Back