Brewmusement - Brewing gone awry!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawnhulio

Reaction score
Sooooooo....

Lots of family drama over the last several months. Didn't have time or energy to consider touching my blessed brew equipment or putting anything together. Made a lovely brown ale that (with its own issues in kegging) which still turned out awesome back in *November*. Enjoying a glass of it now.

Things have settled, so decided - on the fly - to brew this AG batch a few weeks ago. Was aiming for an Imperial Stout brewed with some chocolate and peanut butter powder (the Midwest Brewing kit 'Chocolate Covered BEAVR Nutz').

Note I said on... the ... fly. Mistake 1. Normally I pull all my equipment together the day / night before for take-off. I didn't. Attempted to pull it all together the day of and felt off kilter just from that. I did manage to pull my yeast out and smack the pack the day before, so at least it was ready to go.

Mistake 2. Managed - twice - to miscalculate both my mash and sparge water. By a LOT. :mad: D'oh! D'oh!!!!

Mistake 3. After mashing and sparging, realized I had about 8.5 gallons of wort. WTF??? Are you ****ing kidding me??? How did I manage to do THIS??? uh.... slight panic. I need more fermentables!!!! uh.... let's see... I have some DME, and I have some leftover light Belgian candi sugar (turned out to be just less than a pound each). Mixed it in, boiled. Added extra hops than called for as I had ... uh... ended up with 8.5 gallons of starting wort. :eek:

Ok, so far, I have managed to eff up the water. And now, effed up the recipe, by adding two fermentables not called for. aigiiiiggghhhhhh

And now I'll eff it up further by thinking 'oh, I'll make a shortcut, and not take the keggle off the brewstand while I cool it with my really awesome wort chiller!!!' So.... left the keggle on the brewstand, tossed the cooler in, and watched water began to spray EVERYWHERE, including into the keggle. WTF???? Now what???? Jeezus Krist. Took me a minute to realize that I had burned holes in the cold water tubing - it had melted against the brewstand. :eek: Indeed. As I watched the cold water spray into the wort and all over my work area a small scream exited my mouth.

However, a cool head took over and prevailed... I got a screwdriver, unscrewed the hose clamp attaching the damaged tubing to the wort chiller, cut of the damaged piece, clamped it back on, while managed to gouge a piece of my ring finger out on the wort chiller intake (hey, it's a sharp little piece of metal), which began to bleed into both the wort and all over the wort chiller and brewstand. :drunk: ****. ****!!! Mistake 4.

I then realized after looking at the temperature that the wort wasn't chilling very fast. Huh???? Really???? Come ON!!! The hose pushing cold water through wasn't holding much pressure - it's super old - took several minutes to figure out what was up with THAT (figured I had screwed up my quick repair to the wort chiller... this was not the case). The hose was so old that while it was not leaking it was certainly not able to hold enough pressure to push the water through. Hooked it up with a different hose and it began to cool quickly. Mistake 5. It took close to 45 minutes to chill it down below 80 degrees at this point.

Put about 4.5 gallons of the wort into one carboy, the remaining amount into the other. Huh. I have yeast... for a 5 gallon batch. Double ****. Thank goodness I had some dry English Ale yeast on hand. Tossed the Wyeast smack pack into the 4.5 gallon side, and the remainder got most of the packet of the dry yeast sprinkled on top. The dry yeast actually took off before the smack pack did... ended earlier too (I know the English dry tends to ferment fast, which it indeed did). Both were happily bubbling about.

The one take-away? With the addition of my fermentables I was only .02 off the OG. The ONE take-away. :fro:

And now, below... I give up. I'll look further at them in the morning and decide if A) they're acetic - tossing. B) Sour - I'll fool around with them. *sigh* I doomed myself from the start. :p Pellicle pellicle, how do ya do??? Let's see, could be the blood... could be the cold water getting into the wort... could be the fact that it took 45 minutes to cool it down... uh....

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my brown ale, which is just dandy. :rockin: RDWHAHB, right??? sheesh.

IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

Sloppy, Dawn. Sloppy! :). Just kidding - glad to have you back and to hear your story. I'm sure somehow, someway, both will turn out. Possibly - maybe! If nothing else, a teachable moment, and you can look forward to brewing up your next batch.

hahaha... I was actually just thinking 'drink it...or die...' more like 'drink it...I just might die...' :D Certainly several learning experiences to take away from this one.

-Don't wait so long between brewing!
-Have your $hit together the day / night before
-uh, don't miscalculate. Twice is good... three times is better.
-Oh, and don't bleed into it... :cross:

Its probably going to be the best brew yet. Sugar and yeast = hoppiness . Did love the story tho. :) everyone has brews like these

Update:

Tasted both on Sunday morning. (That's a helluva way to wake up - slight fear and cold sweat mixed amongst the possibility that the brew is either totally effed up... or perhaps, in beer nirvana, salvageable and palatable).

The good news? Neither tastes or smells sour, nor acetic. I did find the smaller batch (the one I pitched dry English Ale yeast into) had fermented slightly lower than the American Ale yeast, but not to the level expected. The American Ale yeast batch was a few points higher. They're supposed to have an end range of 1.016-1.020; they were 1.032, and 1.038. Obviously quite a bit of fermentables remain. And let's not forget the smack pack was at least six months old (more likely eight) - I'm figuring that the yeast was old, the gravity start point was high, and since the recipe didn't call for any yeast nutrient I didn't think to add any. Start point on them was 1.066 (supposed to be 1.068-1.072).

Since they've already had a tough start I made the decision to screw around with them further. Racked both into ONE 6.5 gal carboy, racking way under the somewhat oily slick on top, and didn't rack all of it into the carboy, left a good four-five inches of liquid behind along with the yeast for both batches. Pitched some yeast nutrient, another package of English Ale dry yeast, the peanut butter powder and chocolate bits that came with the kit. Happily bubbling away as I speak. What I'm hoping to do is further ferment the sugars and get near my expected gravity point. If it goes over the FG I guess I end up with a dry imperial with a totally off body. As for the infection it's just along for the ride at this point.

Wow, what an awesome brew day!

You do realize, of course, that if the end result is f'n awesome, you'll have to repeat ALL the steps to get the same result - :drunk:

hahaha... I was actually just thinking 'drink it...or die...' more like 'drink it...I just might die...' :D Certainly several learning experiences to take away from this one.

-Don't wait so long between brewing!
-Have your $hit together the day / night before
-uh, don't miscalculate. Twice is good... three times is better.
-Oh, and don't bleed into it... :cross:

Que Revvy with his comment that nothing that can hurt you can grow in beer...

You never know. May turn out fantastic.

What is somewhat surprising to me is that the six month, maybe 8 month old Wyeast smack pack was able to ferment the beer as well as it did. Yeastcalc puts an estimate that you had about 14% viability or 14 billion cells left out of the original 100 billion. Using Nov 1, 2012 as the yeast production date. Yeastcalc also suggest 206 billion cells for the 4.5 gallons of 1.066 wort. So you were only short by 192 billion yeast cells.

What is somewhat surprising to me is that the six month, maybe 8 month old Wyeast smack pack was able to ferment the beer as well as it did. Yeastcalc puts an estimate that you had about 14% viability or 14 billion cells left out of the original 100 billion. Using Nov 1, 2012 as the yeast production date. Yeastcalc also suggest 206 billion cells for the 4.5 gallons of 1.066 wort. So you were only short by 192 billion yeast cells.

Just a *few*... doesn't surprise me too much. I think the production date was mid-October of last year.

Sad thing is I purchased a couple of other smack packs at the same time intending to brew with them before the sh*t hit the fan and my brewdays fell to the wayside. I know they're past their prime - yet can't bring myself to toss them out. Was considering using them to make a couple of gallon batches. They stare at me, sadly, from the refrigerator door... :(

Back