Brewing Without Running Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeMont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing all grain brewing in my shop that is wood heated and does not have running water. I haul in about 5 - 5 gallon bucket of water to get ready for a brew day. Yesterday I did a Parti-Gyle and cilling of my wort became a major concern. I use an irrigation pump to push cold water from a 35 gallon garbage can filled with water and ice. I accually leave the can outside to let it freeze. I was able to chill two 5 gallon batches to 70 degrees in less than 20 minutes each with my IC. The key was the volume of cold water. I use the first five gallons of hot water to clean up and recirculate the rest. I will be able to use a hose come Spring.

Wow! It sounds like you've go the process down without running water, and chilling two batches in 20 minutes is great. I just put a spigot into my garage so that I could quit connecting a hose 50' away. I'm proud of you for the ingenuity.

Best of luck!

I've brewed several times outdoors on the deck this winter in below freezing weather. I get water for the mash and boil from tap water in the house, but use the hose for my IC. I put quick disconnects on my air bubble. When I'm done chilling I put on the blow nozzle and blow the hoses out and their ready for the next time I brew.

Back