Brewing with tortilla chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauls

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Step family, my chick friend visited a local brewery and was squawking (B+) about their Salsa and Chips beer. Well I’m new but not brand new, and know that nothing good can come from adding 5lbs of tortilla chips except maybe salt. Per their description mango, habanero, chips, and salt. Of course the salt and first two adds are goodness, but the chips?? Marketing gimmick I suspect, But has anyone ever heard of this?

Chips would add corn fermentables, which would not be a problem. Depending on how they were made, salt and oil would also be likely additions, which might be problematic. If it were me, I'd use baked, unsalted chips, which would be basically corn flour. I wouldn't be surprised if they make their own chips from scratch to use this way, or perhaps only add a modicum of chips in order to say they did (as a brewer friend did with a beer based on a local breakfast specialty, hot dry noodles), without actually adding any significant flavor impact.

If the chips were baked and not salted they'd contribute about the same as flaked corn as far as gravity. I've made a mango/habanero cider that was fantastic. Cant imagine both wouldn't be great in beer too.

depending on how much chips you use, might be a hard sparge.....but with enzymes, or enough malt. Doable. I believe the starch would already be gelatinized, so no need for a cereal mash.

Mango?
Check.

Habanero?
Check.

Five pounds of salty tortilla chips?
4791420506_7f24590a0d_z.jpg

Several years ago, a guy in one of my homebrew clubs, who generally makes some wacky beers, made a salsa beer. It's always been a memorable beer to me because it was at either the first or second homebrew club meeting I had been to. I know that he made it with some peppers, tomatoes and (i think) onion from his garden.

I wouldn't add pre-made salsa or chips to the beer. Good corn tortilla chips should be nothing but corn, oil and salt. Good salsa is nothing but vegetables. I'd start with a cream ale, maybe increase the flaked corn. Keep the hops low, they'll compete with the other flavors. Then add tomatoes and peppers to the secondary. Maybe also some lime, cilantro, and salt.

The power of suggestion is a big part of these types of novelty beers. As long as you get tomato, and a hint of corn and peppers, people's minds will fill in some of the other blanks when you tell them it's a chips and salsa beer.

Unreal, I’ve been missing out I guess. Agreed on the mind is a powerful thing, and cute marketing these types of novelty beers is key.

Back