brewing with fresh fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabumbo

Reaction score
i was hoping someone around here could provide some pointers/suggestions as far as using fresh fruits within a brew.

right now i have an extract kit for a wheat beer that i'd love to spice up with some fruit flavor (strawberry, orange, and grapefruit are in the running)

major questions include (assume 5 gal batch size):

1- how much fruit should be used?

2- how should the fruit be prepared?

3- should it be added during primary or secondary fermentation?

4- are other add-ins needed for any reason?

1. This all depends on what kind of fruit you're using and how much flavor you want. Some fruits are naturally stronger and easily absorbed into the beers. I usually use a 1/2-1 full pound of fruit per gallon of beer.

2. Again, it depends on what kind of fruit you're using. Canned fruits like oregon, I usually add directly to the secondary. Fresh fruit needs to be cleaned, chopped, and frozen. Then just add it directly to the secondary. I've always wondered about the extra water content added when freezing them, but I've never had a problem.

3. Most people add them to the secondary, but I don't see any problem with adding things to the primary.

4. I've never used anything, but others may have good ideas for things that may benifit the fruit flavor. Sometimes a bit of lactose in the recipe will bring out sweetness a bit, but that needs to be added during the boil.

I just did a hefeweizen using an extract kit and went for an orange flavor addition (wife's request). I cut the boil down to 2-gallon for the wort, then in a separate pot put in (4) peeled oranges and the zest from (3) of them along with 1/2 gallong water. Brought to 160°F then turned heat off to let it steep while the wort boiled, then added it to the cooled wort in the primary and pitched yeast. Smells good, still have a few days before checking SG so I'll taste it then. Hopefully it doesn't lose too much of the fruit flavor from the yeast.

If you're going to use fruit zest, make sure you only get the brightly colored zest, as the white pith around the fruit will be very bitter. This is my first crack at using fruit so hopefully it all turns out ok.

I was a bit skeptical too, but there were a lot of positive reviews about using it so I thought I'd give it a try. We'll see in a few weeks I guess.

I have done a raspberry pale ale which had 5 lbs of raspberries added at flame out and added into primary.

I have also done a strawberry hefe 5lbs of strawberries at flame out, 5 lbs of berries made into a puree, and "sanitized" with 5 crushed campden tablets, added to secondary for a whopping 10lbs of strawberries. Came out GREAT!

when working with fresh fruit it works much better if fruit is frozen first. breaks cell walls and allows juice to extract easier.

Hoping to do a peach wheat this summer. Man I love a good peach wheat! Stoudt's Brewing Co, in Adamstown Pa does an amazing one!

bump

I just did a hefeweizen using an extract kit and went for an orange flavor addition (wife's request). I cut the boil down to 2-gallon for the wort, then in a separate pot put in (4) peeled oranges and the zest from (3) of them along with 1/2 gallong water. Brought to 160°F then turned heat off to let it steep while the wort boiled, then added it to the cooled wort in the primary and pitched yeast. Smells good, still have a few days before checking SG so I'll taste it then. Hopefully it doesn't lose too much of the fruit flavor from the yeast.

If you're going to use fruit zest, make sure you only get the brightly colored zest, as the white pith around the fruit will be very bitter. This is my first crack at using fruit so hopefully it all turns out ok.

I know i'm months later here, but just wanted to see how this turned out for ya?

bump

I know i'm months behind, but i'm just wondering how this turned out for ya?

Back