Brewing waste - spent grains and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jotakah said:
Those Homer buckets are not food-grade plastic, don't put your precious wort in them! They're just good ole cheap buckets and that's it Regarding spent grains, I sometimes give to the neighbors chickens, sometimes throw it on the garden. Also have curbside compost service with my trash & recycling so if I'm really in a pinch I can throw it in there. Occasionally I'll make the dog biscuits, they barely use a small fraction of how much barley-waste there is but the doggies LOVE IT. It's not my recipe originally. It is 4 cups spent grain, 2 cups flour, 1 cup peanut butter, 2 eggs. Mix all ingredients thoroughly, pack into tight shapes and push down to flatten. Bake 1/2 hour at 350F to solidify them, then loosen them from the sheet/pan/whatever and bake for 3-4 hours at 225 (until they are crazy dry like dogfood). :mug:

Good to know. I have not used them for wort, well actually for the first time I did but not for long. Had extra wort I saved to top off kettle for a 90 minute boil once. Wouldn't all fit into kettle. I think I need a large BK and mash tun....

I store grain in homer buckets. We get these Indian meal moths that can eat through ziplock bags and are a total nuisance. The homer buckets keep them out.

What is the distinction between food grade buckets and homer buckets BTW?

TD

Good to know. I have not used them for wort, well actually for the first time I did but not for long. Had extra wort I saved to top off kettle for a 90 minute boil once. Wouldn't all fit into kettle. I think I need a large BK and mash tun....

I store grain in homer buckets. We get these Indian meal moths that can eat through ziplock bags and are a total nuisance. The homer buckets keep them out.

What is the distinction between food grade buckets and homer buckets BTW?

TD

Haha! I read through some of the thread posted on the site about that. a lot of people had a lot to say. the biggest distinction between the two it seemed was the release agent used in molding. the food grade release agent is apparently much more expensive. the release agent is leached from the bucket at higher temperatures.

Also: non food grade/temperature rated plastics will leach nasty compounds at higher temperatures. I.e. water jugs are good safe. Ever left one in the sun inside a closed car on a hot summer day? Cool it off and take a swig... that's like plastic! NOT TEMPERATURE RATED PLASTIC.

Btw, some plastic compounds resemble the hormone estrogen and are proven to produce prostate cancer in men through long, continued exposure.

I clean the bucket well and then fill them with boiling water to help leach out anything I can. I then store my grains, flour, rice, etc in homer buckets. They are cheap and even have a rubber seal in the lid. Just my 2c. Not saying they are safe for dry food storage, but I use them for that.

I am lucky and my lot back up to timber, some of which I own, and the city owns the rest. I dump all my lawn clippings, leaves, spent grains, etc back there.

I think I read in here that chicken will eat it. One of the folks I work with has ten and live a mile or two down the road. That is probably the best option. Only question now is, how much can ten chicken be expected to eat? Can they dump it in a pile? I foresee rotting grain in pile in the chicken yard.....

TD

TrickyDick said:
I think I read in here that chicken will eat it. One of the folks I work with has ten and live a mile or two down the road. That is probably the best option. Only question now is, how much can ten chicken be expected to eat? Can they dump it in a pile? I foresee rotting grain in pile in the chicken yard.....

TD

My 3 chickens would plow through 8-10 pounds in a day or so. The stuff they didn't eat they kicked around the yard.

I give my grains to a girl at work who has calves and a 300 pound goat. He'll eat 12 pounds of grain in one setting!

Back