Brewing vs Working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You crazy, I rather be working. Sooo much funner than brewing...:cross:

Rather_be_home_brewing.jpg

Come on retirement your only another 35 years away. Then I can brew instead of work.

Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin...he's broke and don't do isht.

Like I said in another thread I've been off for 11 months with the exception of part time work from last July to Jan. Between this site, and brewing, I have not got around to updating my resume. I guess I probably should have but I'd rather be reading here.
It's funny that this post comes up today because I do go back to work tomorrow. Since I started learning about brewing a year ago, I have not had a full time job so I'm curious to see how much I will miss this.
But I will be happy to be in the black financially and I can start spending a little more on this hobby.

After being laid off for 51 weeks in '09-'10, I'd MUCH rather be working than brewing. While laid off, I brewed on Mondays (if nothing else to do) because they were the hardest for me for some reason. Family members donated the brewing ingredients as they enjoy my beers more than I do.

Being laid off came at me from nowhere - total shock. I will never take a job for granted again. Plus, the income allows me to continue to brew.

I keep trying to get fired so I can brew more. It's not working so far. Which is probably good. I doubt SWMBO would be as happy as me. :drunk:

Well, I'm working, but when I get a small bit of time I surf HBT and plug recipes into beersmith on my memory stick. So, I guess I get best of both worlds.

But yeah, when it warms up I'm going to say goodbye to the family after work each day and play in the garage. Until then, I squeeze my time in pretty good.

Now back to the server demo install and Classic American Pilsner project I've been working on...

I bring beer into the office. If I ever want to leave and go home to brew, I just say so. I don't abuse the privilege. We all recognize Work Life balance and make sure we don't work our lives away.

Being between jobs right now, I'd rather be working during the day... Once I move, I'll brew every weekend I can, and probably some times during the week (if I can start the brew early enough)... I've got my process down to under 5 hours from heating the mash water to getting the chilled wort into primary. That's with 90 minute mashes and 60 minute boils. That's also with it being on the colder side (using a propane burner outside) in my area... Once it gets a bit warmer up here, or if I get relocated for a job someplace warmer, I'll probably be looking at a bit less time from starting to heat mash water to cleaning up (enough to be able to go to bed)...

It really does come down to establishing that work/life balance...

BTW, BendBrewer, where do you work and who do I need to bump off to get a job there? :D

Damn not having a job right now i rather have a job brewing beer lol. i just got laid off some crap temp job i had but when i was working i was able supplies i needed so in the mean time am going to get a couple brews in!!!!

A bad day brewing is better than a good day at work. Thanks for all the comments everyone. Good luck with whatever you do in life, work and brewing!

Wish i was at home brewing. Haven't had much time for it lately. And I need to go get my co2 refilled so I can keg the last batch I made and start drinking my Scottish ale again!

On a conference call with Microsoft. After 2 years of working with them I thought I was done ... then they pull me back in. Definitely rather be brewing, or walking on hot coals.

Back