Brewing table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jfclem62

Reaction score
So I think I’m about to pull the trigger on a Spike 15g turnkey system. But $700 for the stainless table is something I’m just not going to do. Any recommendations out there on other options? I’d like to stay stainless, what are you electric 3 vessel guys using?

It's not stainless, but it works. I've thought about painting it white, I've thought about using sheet stainless on the top, but I just haven't found the incentive.

There are some other benefits to this approach. I don't just have one shelf under the top like stainless tables typically do, I have two shelves. On one is my counterflow chiller.

Also, because it's wood, I've found it easy to add...features to it. My Riptide pump is attached to the front; there are two switches right above it, one which controls that pump, one which controls another pump I use for CIP'ing my conical. I also have another switch to the right that controls the transfer pump I use to move water from my blue Aquatainer to the kettle, or to fill water jugs.

The ability to have the shelf, and have the switches easily accessible has made this highly functional. I might have been able to figure out the swtich thing with a stainless table, but with wood, of course, you can put things wherever you want. And I do.

This evolved over time; the bench was originally just a workbench but when I went all-electric, I needed a table, and it works. If I were going to do it all over again, I'd follow a similar format--i.e., wood--and craft some sort of surface on top that was more cleanable.

BTW, mine *is* a 3-vessel system--not shown in the pic is the RIMS tube that is attached to the front of the bench in front of the mash tun on the left.

brewspacewideangle2.jpg

pumpswitches.jpg

brewsetuppumpswitches.jpg

brewsetuphosesRIMS.jpg

This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Gourme.../dp/B01N80URKP/ref=psdc_3734181_t3_B07PRKB47D

I have a Top Tier, so this table is mainly a prep station. It doesn't have a back splash, but what I like about it is I can fold it up and hang it out of the way when not in use.

If you have one of those cheap chrome wire shelf racks like you see at Lowes, the adjustable feet that come with those also fit this table.

$260 for 16 gauge 304 ss table- 24" x 72"

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...al-work-table-with-undershelf/600TS2472S.html

$143 for 18 gauge 304 SS table- 24" x 72"

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T2472G.html

Shipping generally runs $35-50.

So all told, less than half of that $700 and these are great quality tables.

Or search for others here: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/13...4&filter=backsplash-height:without-backsplash

I have one of the Regency tables for my 10 gallon HERMS system and had to TIG weld the legs to the underside of the table to strengthen it up. Before welding the legs to the table, it was very flimsy when any of the three vessels were filled with water. Just something to think about.

On Bling:

Hopefully this is not too far afield. @Jfclem62 didn't indicate this was part of his thinking, and if he doesn't have anything on which to put his kettles, well, he has to buy (or make) *something* and there probably is no better option than Stainless Steel when it comes to keeping things clean.

I'm not immune to the lure of Bling. Who doesn't want their setup to look great, to just blow visitors away when they see it for the first time? Maybe some, but mostly, I suspect, people don't want their setup to look like crap. It can reflect, fairly or not, on the practices of the brewer whose setup looks like....well, crap. Crap setup, crap processes, crap sanitation?

And yet, I've had a lot of people over who have seen my setup with my crappy wooden bench, and not one of them has commented on it not being Stainless Steel. Instead, they're blown away, if they are so inclined to be blown away, by the panels on the wall, the hoses dangling from hooks, the electric setup, the conical fermenter, the glycol chiller (which sits under another smaller wooden bench), the parts bins, etc. etc. etc.

To me, at least, Bling doesn't just have to be shiny. It just has to be reasonably clean--and look complicated. :)

As I've looked back over this thread, more and more I'm wishing my wooden bench was SS. Maybe I can paint it silver..... :)

I do recall the order process was a little strange - they have a "customize your table" menu that lets you add casters and enter your desired total height. The only problem was that the "heavy duty" caster option is not available on the "customize" menu. The work around was to order the table cut to a height 6" less than you really want and ordering the castors separately. Ended up ordering the table cut to 24" and ordered the heavy duty castors as a separate item for a total height of 30"

Back