Brewing Sunday - when to start yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it on a stir plate? Are you going to pitch starter at high krausen or let it ferment out and decant it?

I use a stir plate, and depending on the recipe, I leave it on the stir plate for 48 hours or so, then put it in the fridge to cold crash for at least 2 days. The day of the brew I pull it out and let it warm up naturally, and then right before I'm ready to pitch I decant off most of the beer and then swirl it up real good and then pitch. Don't forget to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching!

Eastside

Is it on a stir plate? Are you going to pitch starter at high krausen or let it ferment out and decant it?

I use a stir plate, and depending on the recipe, I leave it on the stir plate for 48 hours or so, then put it in the fridge to cold crash for at least 2 days. The day of the brew I pull it out and let it warm up naturally, and then right before I'm ready to pitch I decant off most of the beer and then swirl it up real good and then pitch. Don't forget to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching!

Eastside

No stirplate. High krausen.

Then just do it Saturday evening. By the time you brew on Sunday it will be fully active.

I'm brewing Sunday also - an ESB from Jamil's book. I am cooling my starter as I type. I like to let the starter finish, settle and compact a little so I can decant off most the liquid.

Linc

Back