Brewing sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markmyst05

Reaction score
Hi I was looking around to see if I could find somewhere to bulk buy brewing sugar I found this :

https://targetbaits.co.uk/base-mix-ingredients/dextrose-monohydrate

Was wondering if I could get your opinions ?
Cheers

The really particular people say table sugar can give you what was described to me as "hot" flavors in the final product which is why people use corn sugar as it doesn't do that.

Honestly, that seems pretty cheap to me. I don't really know what the difference between dextrose and dextrose monohydrate is but 55 pounds of corn sugar for $30 (sorry I'm in US) seems pretty good to me! 4 pounds of corn sugar is $9 dollars at Northern Brewer. I'd say go for it.

Why would you ever use sugar? Use malt instead to make your fermentables. Using sugar is cheap but that is also what it makes your beer taste like.

King_Coaster, sugar is often used in various styles like IIPA and some Belgians for various reasons, such as boosting abv and drying out the beer further without affecting color or flavor.

Back