Brewing somewhere else and transporting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sycotik

Reaction score
What would be the best way to do this? I am assuming I should get it into my primary bucket and NOT pitch the wort. But I was wondering how long it can stay in there? Lets say I brew on a camping trip on Friday and do not get home until Monday. Is there any special precautions I should take with this? Should I aerate it a bit once I do get home and then pitch the yeast?

Thanks much

I would be very worried about pitching 3 days later. It's fine if you want to transport it for a few hours, but anything over 24 hours and you should really re-think brewing.

I brew at a friends house every once in awhile and I just put it in primary, attach a lid without a hole in it, and pitch when I get home.

So you are saying I can brew the night before and transport maybe 2 hours the next morning? That should work for what I am trying to do.

Has anyone ever went over 24 hours after they brewed?

You'll be fine. If your fermeter is tighly sealed you can transport it. The worst that will happen is that you may knock the krausen down, but once you land in the place you are going and the beer stops rocking it will more than likely re-krausen, even if it doesn't the yeast will still manage to find the wort. In fact moving it around will kinda be the same as a stir plate keeping the yeast in suspension.

I suggest you use a bucket, and just before you start driving, you push down on the lid to push out some of the co2, that way if there's any o2 on top of it it will void out, leaving nothing but co2 in there.

One thing to remeber, if you are parking your car, crack the windows, you don't want the temp to get to high.

It's not ideal, but if you are careful you won't cause undo harm to your brew. It shouldn't have to cause you to "rethink your brewing." ;)

Back