Brewing Solo, The best thing since sliced bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most here and have gone it alone the majority of times. It allows for better focus on the tasks at hand and for keeping detailed notes. Even though many activities are going on during the brewing process, I kinda find it relaxing, mentally. Now it would be beneficial to have someone around when the clean up begins, but that is rarely the case. :)

Seems to be the going consensus here.

On my first couple of extract/steeping batches, I had a friend w/ previous brewing experience come over and supervise.
Couple mistakes but part of the learning curve.

Then I went AG and had a friend (with no experience) come and help on 2 or 3 batches. Things always worked well, as he was often reminding me of steps and making sure that the day went well.
Some mistakes were made, usually when we had a couple of brews and our judgement and thinking became cloudy, but we still made beer.

This 2nd friend became unenthusiastic about brewing and pretty much avoided my brew days all together and I in turn was afraid and hesitant to brew without a 2nd person.
I finally bit the bullet and had a solo brewday and it was the best one yet.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smoothest-brew-day-so-far-406489/

Since then, I brew alone. I start at 7am and am done and cleaned up by 11:30am. First beer gets opened during the cleanup process.
I hesitate to NOT brew alone now.:mug:

I like brewing with people interested in brewing, wanting to learn, because to forces me to be clear on process. But I have to have my brewsheet laid out, everything ready and at hand so I don't get distracted and miss a step. But I hate when someone says they want to learn, but then show little real interest, and are clearly bored. So most of the time I brew alone and just apppreciate the Zen of Brewing.

I have yet to brew solo, kids are home and like to help at different points. My 6yo boy is fascinated with the auto siphon and likes to fill bottles, 4yo daughter stirs mash and likes to weigh hops. The pit bull just lays by the burner on cool days and waits for a treat.

I always think it'd be cool to have friends over while brewing, until the half way through the brewday. Unless they share your passion for brewing, they're going to get bored literally watching water boil.

Homercidal said:
Brewing is like sex. It's great with the right people, but always good by yourself. And less chance of infection.

This is just plain funny, true...but funny

I currently am working with a brew partner...the jury is still out if this will continue.

Working with a partner on anything will either be amazing or an absolute cluster, the key is to be in sync with the person, no one person should have to direct what needs to be done next. My brew partner is a good guy, he is very into beer but not so much into organization and thinking of what needs to be done next. Only time will tell if I turn this hobby into a solo venture or not, cleaning a 10 gal single tier all grain system is a PITA, its nice to have a bit of help.

I agree with the early start, but not that early haha, tho with previously relying on friends to help didn't happen too often. I live by myself so i crank my hot water heater up, not having to worry about someone burning themselves, it usually comes out of the tap at 150, so whenever I wake up I am basically at strike, helps with sparge too, so if I start by 8 I can be done by noon :)

Oh, I would forget and burn the hell out of myself in the shower or while washing my hands. You have more faith in your early morning self than I do in mine.

I always brew alone, and love every minute of it.

Saturday morning, with "NPR News", "Car Talk", "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me", and then some good music, I love it.
That sounds like my ideal brew morning. Unfortunately, while my wife works on most Saturdays, she usually doesn't go in until noon, so I always get a late start.

I've been irritated lately with not finding somebody to brew with... All my buddy's love my beer, but won't help make it. My wife usually leaves with the kids and I'm alone. Last Sunday I decided I was going to watch movies while brewing, finally I was at peace. I drank to much, but it was nice. Finished in 3.5 hours minus MT cleanup. Which I has left to clean the next morning. BIG mistake

Yeah, solo brewer here too. When I started getting into brewing after we moved, I thought my wife would also enjoy the process with me. She lasted all of 45 minutes before she got bored and moved on to other things.

I also had a buddy come over to "help" one time. He said that he wanted to get into it as he's also big into microbrew beers. He left as I was lautering and hasn't asked to come back since.

So yeah, I'm a solo brewer for now, but definitely would like to brew with guys/gals that know what they're doing.

Brewing with friends is fun but I usually end up making mistakes or missing notes. I do enjoy my alone time brew days. They usually go so much smoother. I do the early morning brew day as well. It's great starting that strike water before anyone's up in my house. Just me and my dog!

I'm about 50/50 but prefer to brew alone. Less distraction and can keep a clearer head.
Like working on the Koi pond, or those early morning punch downs on 22 gallons of wine fermenting. I think it's therapeutic.
It is fun to share your hobbies with friends but the alone time is nice.

I find I'm way more efficient when alone and actually seem to have more wait time too. If I brew with one of my trained guys that know what to do its nice to look over and see them cleaning out a mash tun without even having to be asked. It's really a Walt/Jessie thing when it works.

I've also brewed with A-hats that don't really help except to open the wrong hops, miss additions, drink my beer on tap and then show up to collect their beer 'they brewed' when it's all done. I even had one guy suggest I keep his in the fridge and he'd come over to get growlers when he wanted them. I'd rather drink wine than brew like that.

Definitely the alone crowd. Have done over 100 batches and most were alone. Recently I started having some friends over which was nice (they always bring a few great beers over) but inevitably leads to mistakes (did I mention the beer part?)

With that said, it seems pretty clear from this post that having a fellow brewer is nice and helpful, having friends over leads to less concentration. Brewing alone tonight.

On a side note...I did get pretty shattered one night with some buddies and ended up making a pretty epic 15% barleywine. I remember telling my buddy (just starting AG) that there were two rules of homebrewing: 1. Drink a homebrew, 2. Don't get drunk.

Halfway through he turns to me and says "aren't we breaking rule two?" I paused for a second in pure drunken confusion and said "whats rule two?"

Calichusetts said:
On a side note...I did get pretty shattered one night with some buddies and ended up making a pretty epic 15% barleywine. I remember telling my buddy (just starting AG) that there were two rules of homebrewing: 1. Drink a homebrew, 2. Don't get drunk.

Halfway through he turns to me and says "aren't we breaking rule two?" I paused for a second in pure drunken confusion and said "whats rule two?"

I read this, admittedly Hung over from thirsty Thursday, and find myself laughing.

Other than the couple times my son came around to brew a batch with me I've always brewed alone. As is almost the rule judging by this thread I start early. I wake up 5-6am and already have the water in the kettle the night before. Start the water heating and get the coffee going.

I've been on brewing hiatus for a while due to life and it's quirks, but will be jumping back in before the new year. I've recently made a new acquaintance who is a home brewer and has invited me to brew with him. We talk beer a lot and he seems to be in my league so who knows? Maybe I'll give it a go with a brew buddy sometime, but I'll always enjoy brewing alone.

I started brewing every batch together with a friend. He lost interest after he botched a batch (4th batch, his first alone). I was more into it anyway. I did all the recipe formulation (or choosing at that stage), ingredient ordering, etc.

Now I brew alone, which is fine, but company would be fun, although I don't want to share the proceeds!

One thing I realized today is that sometimes mashing in by yourself sucks. I was mashing in today and got a bunch of dough balls since I wasn't able to be stirring continually as the grain went in the mash tun. I was able to get them all broken up, but it took some time and caused me to be about two degrees off from my intended mash temp.

I usually have too much to do to be a good host. During the mash, I'm cleaning kegs, weighing out hops, or sanitizing my pumps & hoses. During the boil it's hop additions, cleaning MT, sanitizing fermenter, setting yp plate chiller, etc.

I'm SOOOO glad to get validation from so many of you guys! I had thought I was the only anti-social, introvert brewer in the world, since I kept reading about brew club batches and such.

I basically brew by myself. My kids (15 and 12) come onto the deck to help occasionally, as the mood strikes them, and my wife sometimes comes out and works on the computer alongside me. Once or twice a neighbor has come over and observed for a few minutes. However, I have my system in place, including how I spread out all over and don't like to have to move around people when I'm grabbing this or that.

I almost always brew alone. I've had a friend over for one brew day. But it was early in my brewing career and wasn't very focused to start with. I've done a few brew days with my homebrew club, but the beer always seems to turn out (much) worse than when I brew by myself.

I've gotten the process to the point that I don't feel I need another set of hands. The only times I find it nice are during the crush and during mash-in. But even then, it's not a burden to do those solo. After reading Brewing Better Beer, I've tried to focus more on the "Zen of Brewing".

I almost always brew alone. Unless my brew partner is off school, my 11 year old daughter LOVES to help me brew beer. She has the same passion that I do about it. A few weeks ago I couldn't wait until she got home and brewed without her, man was she mad at me!

Early morning brew day for me. Turn on radio. Mash in at sunrise. Watch sunrise with Dog. Enjoy cup of coffee with dog. Boil wort with a morning home brew.

Thats all for me

One thing I realized today is that sometimes mashing in by yourself sucks. I was mashing in today and got a bunch of dough balls since I wasn't able to be stirring continually as the grain went in the mash tun. I was able to get them all broken up, but it took some time and caused me to be about two degrees off from my intended mash temp.

I always strike 5* hot and stir to get down to my desired temp for this reason.

I always strike 5* hot and stir to get down to my desired temp for this reason.

I'm not so broken up about the temp as I am that I got doughballs, which I usually don't get. I also prefer not to mash in higher than my strike water needs to be, especially by 5 degrees. The mash for a typical 5 gallon batch is a lot of thermal mass and I imagine it takes a while to drop those 5 degrees without some sort of forced cooling, all the while conversion is occurring at a sub-optimal temperature for the beer you're trying to brew.

I hold my mash paddle under the grain as I pour it in. Absolutely helps avoid dough balls IMHO.

I find when I brew with someone else, one person seems to dominate the process, the other person is just along for the ride. If I'm the former, I feel somewhat guilty for running things. If I'm the latter, it just doesn't feel like "my" beer.

I typically brew with my friend. We either do collaboration brews that we experiment on together (because that way we can drink the final product faster if it's not good), or if I'm doing a batch on my own he'll just sit and hang out, have a beer, talk brewing, and learn from me - and vice versa.

Though I certainly have no problems doing it alone.

My sign in name is pmmike because 90% of the time I brew starting around 10 or 11 at night, usually finishing around 4 am. I worked the night shift (3 till 1:30) for around ten years. I now work on day shift but most of the time I still brew at night. No one I know would stay up that late to finish brewing, kinda relaxing being able to focus on the task at hand with no kids running around. Yet my 8 year old daughter loves to help me.

I find when I brew with someone else, one person seems to dominate the process, the other person is just along for the ride. If I'm the former, I feel somewhat guilty for running things. If I'm the latter, it just doesn't feel like "my" beer.

This is how it was when I started with a partner. I ran the show, and he became disinterested after trying to brew alone and botching the batch.

I'm not so broken up about the temp as I am that I got doughballs, which I usually don't get. I also prefer not to mash in higher than my strike water needs to be, especially by 5 degrees. The mash for a typical 5 gallon batch is a lot of thermal mass and I imagine it takes a while to drop those 5 degrees without some sort of forced cooling, all the while conversion is occurring at a sub-optimal temperature for the beer you're trying to brew.

I find that by the time I pour the water in and stir in the grains, I'm down to the proper temp. This will vary depending on your set-up, so maybe you could do 2* and stir enough to get your temp right. If I had to try too hard to drop temp I wouldn't do it. (Also, I meant I heat the strike water 5* hotter than instructed, not aim for 5* over once mixed).

Nonsense.

Anything organic will be killed in the boil.

Anything metallic is in the cold water too.

Stop the fear-mongering.

Obviously the organic stuff is dead, but why would cold water have the same metallic content when it never goes through the tank? There aren't sacrificial anodes in the cold water lines, are there?

why would cold water have the same metallic content when it never goes through the tank? There aren't sacrificial anodes in the cold water lines, are there?

I apologize for being OT, I don't want this to become another "is it safe to brew with water from your hot water tank" thread, but my hot water tank is natural gas, not electric. Do natural gas tanks have sacrificial anodes, or is it just electric tanks? If not, then it's not an issue, but if so, then perhaps you have a point.

Apropos the thread topic, I almost always brew alone. I've brewed with someone else just twice, and they were not brewers. I was merely showing them the process. And, not surprisingly, they became bored.

I long for the day that I can brew outside. Would love to get up early, head outside with a cup of fresh brewed coffee and a nice cigar, and start my brew day

I long for the day that I can brew outside. Would love to get up early, head outside with a cup of fresh brewed coffee and a nice cigar, and start my brew day

This is one of the main reasons I really want to buy a house (along with all the obvious benefits).

Awesome to hear so many replies with brewing solo, I have now brewed three solo batches and love it too much. I now embrace the zen of brewing by myself i feel the quality of my beer will improve greatly with better attention to my process :)

This is one of the main reasons I really want to buy a house (along with all the obvious benefits).

Especially with Fall here. You can't beat the cool morning air, while sipping on some coffee. I swear this city will be the end of me if I don't move soon

Back