Brewing Software - Comments Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cregar said:
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a demo version of BeerTools Pro yet?

I have Beer Tools Pro already and like it. It compares to BrewSmith in my opinion. I have always used the Beer Tools online platform to formulate and store recipes, and decided to try it out. So far so good.

Any other BeerSmith to Beer Tools Pro converts? I'm highly considering buying a copy of Beer Tools, but I'd like to hear another opinion or two first.

For all those interested in the continual devolpement of Beer Tools, they just added an Export on the latest update. This was last weeks brew.

Thunder
14-B American IPA
18.jpg

Size: 5.36 gal
Efficiency: 60.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 192.63 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.056 - 1.075)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
|================#===============|
Color: 18.3 (6.0 - 15.0)
|=============================#==|
Alcohol: 5.69% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 49.63 (40.0 - 60.0)
|===============#================|
Ingredients:
10 lbs Pale Malt(2-row)
1.5 lbs Victory Malt
0.5 lbs Munich Malt(2-row)
0.5 lbs Extra Special Malt
0.5 lbs Soft White Wheat Malt
0.75 lbs Crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.6 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Goldings - E.K. (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled -5.0 min
0.0 fl oz White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.5

Lathe poland said:
I was wondering if like on a Mac there is a way to print to PDF on a PC? I have been seeing BeerTools Pro recipes as PDF files showing up on forums around the world. Obviously this wont help you if there isn't a way.

Only with third party software (like the actual Acrobat application, but I think there's other (cheaper) shareware type options for this). It's not built into the OS like on a Mac.

olllllo said:
that's a big beer.

:D Yeah I tried to make it a big beer:D But you know how hard it is to brew and explain what your doing to a dozen people..... oy.... Got some help to alter the code.

Thunder
14-B American IPA

18.jpg
"]http://www.beertools.com/images/colors/18.jpg[/img][/URL]

Size: 5.36 gal
Efficiency: 60.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 192.63 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.056 - 1.075)

Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
|================#===============|

Color: 18.3 (6.0 - 15.0)
|=============================#==|

Alcohol: 5.69% (5.5% - 7.5%)

Bitterness: 49.63 (40.0 - 60.0)
|===============#================|

Ingredients:
10 lbs Pale Malt(2-row)
1.5 lbs Victory Malt
0.5 lbs Munich Malt(2-row)
0.5 lbs Extra Special Malt
0.5 lbs Soft White Wheat Malt
0.75 lbs Crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.6 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Goldings - E.K. (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled -5.0 min
0.0 fl oz White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Results generated by http://www.beertools.com/]BeerToolshttp://[URL= Pro 1.0.5[/url]

debtman7 said:
Only reason I haven't paid for beer alchemy yet is that I think $30 is a bit much for what this kind of software does. I could whip up an app that does the same thing in a few hours, but the hard part is inputting all the data for various ingredients and implementing the calculations. I'd pay to avoid having to do all that work, but I think $15 is a more reasonable amount... In perspective, $30 will get you a video game that took a lot more work to develop :)
I know this is an old post but I'd like to point out that BeerAlchemy took quite a bit longer than a 'few hours' to write.

I know. I wrote it.

The value proposition is not what you think it costs to make or whether or not you could do it youself (unless you actually do it), it is whether or not the problem it solves is worth $30 to you.

I've started using QBrew. It looks a little simplistic but it gets me in the right ballpark.

I downloaded the BeerSmith trial version, and after the 21 days was up, I was hooked. Went a few days with the limited use version and then bought the full version. It's very convenient and intuitive, and I haven't even gotten into all the features yet.

This has been a great thread on brewing software. Thanks everyone.

Like Torchiest, I too down loaded BeerSmith trial version and after 4 days I had entered enough information and recipes I felt it was worth the $20 not to have to start over with another software package. I purchased!! I also liked the ease of use and the familiar look with other PC software.

Dr Malt:tank:

No one seemed to want to comment on BeerSmith vs Beer Tools, so I went ahead and paid for Beer Tools. Here's what I think so far:

Beer Tools has a nicer outward appearance - I like the pint glass color estimation. It reads BeerXML, so I can import my BeerSmith recipes. The style widgets are nice (sort of a bar graph appearance), but largely unnecessary - I'd rather see the "Analysis" info in the same tab. Adding ingredients is a pain. They are sorted only by name or supplier, and the interface is a bit clumsy. I'd like to see more info in the ingredient dialogs (color, typical use, potential yield, etc). It took me a while to figure out how to get to the mash schedule portion, and I don't like it much either. Other bothersome issues include having to open multiple windows for each recipe and its tendency to flicker/flash when it needs to update displayed info (like it's "repainting" the entire window when only one or two things change).

So far, BeerSmith keeps my vote.

Yeah they are activitly working on upgrades and user feedback. Need to go over there and talk a bit so they know what to work on :)

BTP sounds like it has some potential, may just need the bugs worked out and interface spruced up a bit.
I have tried the free web based BT (hated it, but it's free), promash (was this written in COBOL?) and BeerSmith. I love the fluidity of BeerSmith, the interface, ease of use, and good, up-to-date descriptions of ingredients. The brewsheet is a great feature as well. If ther were a fully functional trial of BTP I would surely try it, but it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to switch.

Good thread, btw!

Beer Snob said:
Yeah they are activitly working on upgrades and user feedback. Need to go over there and talk a bit so they know what to work on :)
This is the chief reason that I paid for BTP. BeerSmith has been updating their website, but it seems they've abandoned updating their software and ingredient database. Hopefully BTP gets frequent updates.

I think BeerSmith is on sale; I remember it being $25 when I first looked at it, and it was only $20 when I finally paid of rit two weeks ago.

I'm a Promash guy, but all the new software coming out makes you wonder. They've been saying an announcement regarding 2.0 was coming out since earlier this year, but haven't said a word. In the meantime they're really being outpaced by the new vendors of brewing software IMO. It wouldn't take much for me to switch, but it would take a little more than what I've seen from Beer Tools at this point (which, frankly, isn't that much...I need to research it a little more).

I've tried the trial of BeerSmith, and I may have to purchase it. I like the interface, and it's more powerful than QBrew, especially since I do a partial boil extract-late method with steeping grains. QBrew can't accomodate that, but BeerSmith can.

Now that beertools has been out a little bit, any more comments on it? I'm thinking about buying it, but the lack of a trial really makes me wonder.

Also, is the gold worth the extra fin?

I have been holding back on buying BeerTools Pro, I usually don't buy any software till I try it. Hopefully they will come out with one soon. I will get my semi-annual bonus check hopefully by the end of the week and if no demo is out for BeerTools Pro I'm going to buy BeerAlchemy.

I am on the verge of starting to make my own recipes and wanted to buy some software. Does BeerTools Pro work well with extract reciepes?

Back