Brewing salts source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorderBrewin

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my first all grain beer next week and I think I have all the kinks worked out except for the water. It seems I will need to dilute my tap water with RO water and then add some additional salts. My problem is that I don't have a local homebrew shop and no time to order the salts, so is there anything I find at a typical grocery store/Wal-mart that will give me the same results? Obviously I have Baking Soda and Epsom Salt but what about chalk, gypsum and calcuim chloride?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

calcium chloride is sometimes used in pickling Ive heard that you can find it at some mexican grocery stores. at lot of these salts are available from hardware stores but they are intended for non-edible uses and sometimes have stuff added to them that might be poisonous so dont buy anything that isnt listed as food grade. table salt can be used to add sodium and chlorides but make sure you get the pure stuff (non-iodized, no anti-caking agents) im not sure where you might get chalk or gypsum.

My water looks like this:

Calcium 76.9
Chloride 16
Mg 16.5
Sodium 11
Alkalinity as CaCO3 218
Sulfate 25

All ppm. I am trying to brew a Pale Ale, so from what I have read the alkalinity is quite high for such a pale beer. Am I better off just buying some spring water this time and ordering some salts for my next batch? I'm basing my analysis on John Palmer's mash residual alkalinity adjustment worksheet.

http://howtobrew.com/section3/Palmers_Mash_RA_ver2d.xls

Thanks again.

Back