Brewing right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
So I'm brewing for this first time in about three years. Just made my first hop addition. I've been sanitizing things while the wort boils and I just found that my auto siphon is full of mold from being in the basement unused. I'm tossing it of course, but how should I transfer 5 gallons into my carboy without a siphon? I'm in a giant 12 gallon pot so it won't be that easy to just pick it up and dump it. All my plastic tubing is junk. Any creative ideas?

So happy to be brewing again! The smells! Making a Williams American IPA kit that's been in the shelf since I quit brewing when my son was born. Next batch is my all grain porter. Thrilled to have the time for this again!

You can sanitize another container (a quart jar, maybe) and use it to scoop and pour cooled wort into a funnel (also sanitized!) in the mouth of your carboy.

Recently had similar incident but luckily I found some spare tubing. But I second the above post... Even a properly sanitized pot of some kind.

Just don't forget to get it aerating like I did!

Thanks. I had a stainless mixing bowl. Did all the scooping and splashing aerate it too much? Other than a small scorched spot on the bottom of the pot the brew went well.

Sorry in my post I mixed up two recent incidents I had. I under aerated when I had to transfer using a funnel with a makeshift strainer (long story) and the yeast didn't survive. Guess my pour was way too gentle and slow through the strained funnel.

Back