brewing question, Also my introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
I am new to brewing, I have a batch of Australian coopers Draught that I racked 4 days a go, I have Ben working out of town and when I looked at it today it is not bubbling the temperature usually stays between 68 and 70 deg in the Kitchen. I pulled a sample a few minutes ago it is clear and tastes good. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I am hoping to learn how to make a beer that taste like Samuel Adams Boston Lager but I will need to invest in the equipment to make beer from scratch, I will need to buy a good book on brewing but they were sold out when I bought my Kit. We made a lot of wine and some beer when I was younger and I still have a lot of the things we made it with in the basement there is 1 old oak barrel left to that looks good, and a lot of crocks that no one uses any more.
Thank you Randy

Welcome. You should definitely read the sticky thread about 'stuck fermentation', etc. Never judge by bubbles alone for fermentation. Always use your gravity readings/hyrdrometer.

Not really sure what your QUESTION was: are you wondering if it is safe to bottle at this stage? Not after 4 days, very likely. Take a gravity reading and see what your FG (final) should be, and judge from that.

p.s. in the kitchen in a glass carboy secondary? Here's a handy tip:
Black plastic bag with a hole in the top for airlock to poke through----keeps nasty sunlight off the nice clear container.

J

What do you mean by needing suggestions? You airlock isn't bubbling because it no longer needs to.

Just because your airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean that fermentation is finished.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. And the peak of fermentation has already wound down, so there's simply no need to vent off any excess co2.

"Bubbling action" is not a good way to tell if anything is happening, plenty of beers ferment without a single bubble from the airlock.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

The bubbling just means that it is venting excess CO2, nothing more. If it's not bubbling, that only means that it is not producing enough co2 to need to vent.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on. It's exactly the same thing when you try to go by airlock....

Just leave it alone for at least another 10 days OR MORE, then you can take a hydrometer reading and decide if you want to secondary it...OR you can do what many many many of us do and leave your beer alone for a month, that will let the beer finish fermenting and then let the yeast clean up after themselves, that way they will get rid of all the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors, and if new/impatient brewers move to soon, they end up stuck with.

Thoughts about that have shifted over the last few years, now we have found that leaving the beer in primary for a month improves the flavor of beer by cleaning up the byproducts of fermentation...There is about 1,000,000 threads about it, including at least 5 threads active today alone in the beginners section...look for threads about secondary, long primary, no secondary, long primary, autolysis, and you will see our answers, over and over and over again.

All my beers stay in primary for a month, been doing it for 3 years now, and have won awards for my beers doing so....

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Just seperate the idea that bubbling or not bubbling = fermentation or non fermentation. Plenty of beers get brewed without a single airlock bubbling. I have 9 fermenters and I average only about 50% airlock bubbling.....

THe biggest suggestion I can make is to ignore your airlock and use your hydrometer.

:mug:

Thank you for the reply, I did not now what to read up on here, I read a lot of what you were suggesting but I had not quite figured out what it was doing on my own, plus I am tired I put in a 20 hr day driving nights in the oil field counting driving home in my car I will take a nap and do some more reading before I have to go back out of town. I wish my hydrometer had a thermometer at the bottom like the one I use at work we have a centrifuge on our oil trucks that we check the gravity and BSW with, I will have to learn how to use this one right, I have done some reading on it but I am a little tired to put it all together right now.
Randy

Back