Brewing palilalia right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
So right now I'm sitting on the porch while grains are steeping in the turkey fryer. The recipe is Papazian's palilalia, and since I'm brewing beer, and drinking beer, i figured i might as well read about beer. A few quick questions though.

1. I got the ingredients a about 2 months ago and left them in a box with my brewing kit. I never refridgerated the yeast, and now the package is all inflated. I'm going to use it anyway, as I'm already brewing and RDWHAHB right? but what should i expect? My hypothesis is that fermentation will be a little slow on the start, but then continue as normal.

2. The complete joy of homebrewing includes cascade hops in the recipe, but doesn't say when to add them. I thought about tossing the cones in salt and serving them as a snack alongside the beer, but common sense says to add them with about 10 mins left in the boil. Does 10 mins sound about right?

Thanks for your discussion. I'm in SW Virginia so anyone in the area, load up a 6er and stop over. All the equipment is sanitized if you want to toss in another batch!

Sorry I'm not in VA or I'd join you!

Your assumption on the yeast is probably correct, I say probably because 2 months is a long time to be swelled up. Most likely you'll be fine with your assumption

For the hops you did not say how much but I you have an ounce or more you can add some at 30,15, 10,5 and flame out. You'll get a little bitter and good aroma, IMO I would add the larger percentage from the 10 mark forward.

Have fun! Cheers!

That's a great recipe! If I recall I did an ounce at 60, 15 and 5 then dry hopped with two more ounces.

I am worried about your yeast, though. Being unrefrigerated for that long is trouble. You may have been ok if you did a starter, but otherwise I'd e very skeptical.

Any chance you can grab some dry yeast after brewing/chilling?

I have 2 oz of northern brewer to add at 60 mins and 1 oz of cascade to add at ??? I can get some yeast but not till tomorrow at the earliest. I plan on adding the yeast i have tonight and if nothing happens, to pick up or order some more later. Adding more yeast won't hurt if the first batch is a dud, will it?

Back